LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
Honor: 0
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 17 years.
06:23:59 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,803 times

2 Decades ago a Sheep by the name of Dolly was the first mammal to be cloned successfully to the public. The most common objection was that such activity is "Playing God".

- Cloning/Stem Cell Research

- Man Made Black Holes

- Space Colonization (controlled ecological life support systems)

- Artificial Intelligence

- Atomic/Nuclear Arms Production

- The Death Penalty/Euthanasia

Do you feel that any or all of these topics are, in effect, Playing God?

If not, please share why you feel that no moral boundaries are violated.

If so, please share what is it about the issue that crosses moral lines.

•  REPLY  •

markus666
markus666
Great Sire (118)
Honor: 139
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Elizabeth Batory is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Elizabeth Batory
11:28:58 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,796 times

My opinion, there is no line being crossed. We are evolving as a race and the most we create, the far we will go. The creation of food is one of the most advance creation, due to the fact, that now, we can create, from Vegetables to meat. So, I see hope for the famine an others countries. Lets end starvation and keep creating corn, meat and so on.

•  REPLY  •

Soulshroude
Soulshroude

No Longer Registered
12:02:19 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,793 times

Because we now live in an age of "no consequence...", I can state as a matter of fact, that there is no real "Playing God: for society these days on account that society has been manipulated into believing that science is a valued nature ad principle there by being a clause. Research in certain areas of science can enable anything to happen on a molecular scale. Involving anything from evolution and state of being to cures, and resolves from technological advancements.

We don't play GOD. We endeavor from that natural correspondence with what energies God gives us and the grace from that charity. We learn to borrow and accept with great humility.... (end ramble).

•  REPLY  •

12:29:08 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,790 times

It is indeed "playing god" but since there is no god, then no one is really crossing him.
The death penalty is more hypocrisy than actually playing god but cloning and other artificial means of creating life, organic or otherwise, speaks for itself.

Humans fancy themselves gods when they in fact one of the weakest prey species on earth.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 18 years.
15:31:42 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,780 times

- Cloning/Stem Cell Research: Yes

- Man Made Black Holes: No

- Space Colonization (controlled ecological life support systems): No

- Artificial Intelligence: No

- Atomic/Nuclear Arms Production: No

- The Death Penalty/Euthanasia: Eh ... Yes?

For the most part, I think many of your topics don't deal with "playing God," but are, instead, examples of human evolution. Of course, this is just my humble opinion. I'm sure others would not feel the same, as I've seen arguments which support the concept of "playing God" for the majority of your suggestions.

Here are my two cents, though:

Cloning bothers me beyond reason. When I think of it, I just get this whole ick feeling. I'm not an overtly religious person either. I don't even believe in a Christian god. I believe in a higher power; it would be egotistical of me not to. Still, the idea of creating life in this way ... it bothers me. And, really, should it? I mean, we create life when a man and a woman do the horizontal mambo, right? And what about invitro fertilization? So, why am I so bothered by the act of cloning? I guess it's because it's not creating life from ... nothing; it's creating life from something. It's copying and pasting, and it's weird. It's not a natural process. Yes, with invitro fertilization, we're taking out the whole horizontal mambo factor, but the basic science is still the same. And Dolly? What the heck kinda name is that for a sheep? Creepy, man.

As for man-mad black holes (that's scary!), space colonization, AI, and weapons of mass destruction ... That's just humanity moving forward. Ha. Or moving backwards, depending on how you look at it. And that may be like "playing God," in a sense, if we manage to wipe ourselves out. I don't know. Overall, though, I don't see these "advances" as God-like. These concepts required work. Lots of sciencing going on there.

As I'm reasoning all this out in my head, I'm seeing a flaw in my logic (imagine that). If I want to argue that man-made black holes, space colonization, AI, and weapons of mass destruction aren't God-like because of the science involved, couldn't the same be said for cloning? Hmm ... I think where it differs is that, in cloning, we're talking about creating life. That's God-like to me. With the other stuff, it's not about creating life.

Moving on. The death penalty and euthanasia. My, oh my, isn't this a slippery slope. Ok. Yes, we do "play God" when we take into our hands the matters of life and death. Who are we to say when someone's time is up? Who are we to say someone is a blight on humanity and needs to go? Ah, there's the slippery slope. But I'm not going to get into it too deeply. My last great paper for my capstone class was about euthanasia and PAS (Physician Assisted Suicide).

Now, even though I say we are "playing God" when it comes to the death penalty and euthanasia, I'm not saying it's wrong, exactly. It can go wrong, definitely. I'm not against the death penalty. I'm sorry. I'm not. Do I like the idea of taking a human life? Of course not. If I did, I'd be a murderer. However, I do believe that there are some ... people in the world that are just too broken. I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Death = death. It's not a black and white issue, though. There are gray areas, and I recognize that, but I'm not opening that can of worms.

As for euthanasia, that seems more like "playing God" than the death penalty does. Euthanasia means, quite literally, good death: eu: good; thanatos: death. It's supposed to be merciful and its intention is to alleviate suffering. Sounds like a good thing, yes? It is until you get into the debate about what suffering is from one individual to another. Slippery slope. Not going there. But when we think we know that answer, and when we act dependent upon that knowledge, yes, we are "playing God." We are saying, "Hey, I know what's best for Billy Bob. Hand me the syringe." That's God-like to me.

•  REPLY  •

20:48:36 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,772 times

I have no issue with euthanasia, if someone wants to have control over their own life and death, then power to them.

Death Penalty I find very backwards....its illegal to kill and so they punish by...killing? Human life matters not but society is off put-tingly really odd and stupid. The law seems to be "do as I say, not what I do"

Then there's "Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
22:13:52 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,766 times

Euthanasia is not about someone taking their own life. That's suicide. Euthanasia involves someone else making the decision to end someone's life; generally with good intentions. If you take a pet to the vet to put it to sleep, that's euthanasia. If Spot has had enough of chasing his tail and smelling the butts of other dogs and jumps in front of a car, that's suicide.

Now ... is suicide playing God??? Hmmm ...

•  REPLY  •

22:26:59 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,764 times

However, most folk that want to take their own life, can't because they are so disabled, but they can sometimes communicate that to some, so that they can euthanized, thus is their will and decision on the matter of their life.

Once again this is where the law is backwards, they can put a dog out of its misery, even though dogs can't decide it, yet when a human is clearly suffering and they are making that point very clear and they choose to die, its illegal and disallowed. Only certain place allow someone to be euthanized.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
22:55:14 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,759 times

Still, there's a distinction. If someone helps someone else commit suicide, it's still suicide. I had to learn that when writing my paper.

I mean, I'm nitpicking, but it's important to recognize the difference when discussing the issue. The reason it's so important to this particular discussion is in how it relates to playing God. Euthanasia involves the power of others over an individual; suicide involves the power of self (even if the self needs assistance) over, well, the self. We could easily argue that suicide isn't playing God because it's our body and we can do what we want. The Catholic church doesn't agree; suicide is a big no-no. Still, there are some that hold this belief--the power over their body being absolute. Now, someone else assuming power over an individual, especially in regard to their life and/or death, that's definitely more God-like, to me, anyhow.

What I'm trying to spit out here is that the OP wasn't looking for a discussion regarding the power one has over one's body; he was talking about the power someone else has over one's body and whether exerting that power is like playing God.

But ... I did pose the question myself whether or not suicide was like playing God, so feel free to run with it as it pertains to my question. Just don't confuse it with the original query about euthanasia. :)

•  REPLY  •

23:04:50 Nov 30 2016
Read 2,757 times

If one can can relate suicide to self-sacrifice, then technically the church shouldn't frown on suicide since didn't Jesus willingly die for everyone "sin". I am have no interest in the bible or church lore, so I may be wrong.

but back to the original selections.

Cloning is the act of creating life artificially, no matter how alive or natural it is organically, its origins are unnatural so it is "playing god" but medically there could be usefulness in it.
I don't normally tolerate it when humans step beyond their station, especially when their inventions endanger the world but this...this could benefit nature.

A lot of animals have gone extinct or are going extinct as a result of human interference. Cloning could possibly undo such negative effects by restoring their population...of course, to avoid incest and inbreeding, dna needs to be frequently altered. I dislike the idea of human cloning since population is currently unbearable as it is but as I said, it has medical potential, such as growing new limbs and organs for soldiers.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
03:30:16 Dec 01 2016
Read 2,744 times

Oh, gosh. Cloning extinct species??? Haven't you seen any of the Jurassic Park movies?! No, thank you!

I mentioned in vitro fertilization in my first post. Does anyone think that's playing God?

•  REPLY  •

03:34:45 Dec 01 2016
Read 2,742 times

Dinosaurs had their end naturally, I was talking about ones caused by human interference...but.say they did resurrect dinosaurs, what could possibly go wrong? hell, even make a theme park! that is completely original and has never been done before even in fiction....

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
00:24:46 Dec 05 2016
Read 2,700 times

Even if animals have become extinct by the actions of humans, wouldn't that still be natural since humans are natural?

What extinct animal would you see make a come back?

Ok ... this is a no-no topic, but what about abortion? If we (we being me) that any matter involving life and death is playing God, wouldn't that act being playing God? I've never actually thought about it like that.

Or what about plastic surgery that involves changing the way God made us?

I guess, you could say just about anything we do is playing God.

•  REPLY  •

01:33:00 Dec 05 2016
Read 2,694 times

"Even if animals have become extinct by the actions of humans, wouldn't that still be natural since humans are natural?"

Not necessarily, humans may be natural they actions aren't, destroying forests for buildings etc I do see where you are coming from though.

"What extinct animal would you see make a come back?"

All that died as a result of human interference.

"Ok ... this is a no-no topic, but what about abortion? If we (we being me) that any matter involving life and death is playing God, wouldn't that act being playing God? I've never actually thought about it like that."

Nothing wrong with abortion, less humans the better.

"Or what about plastic surgery that involves changing the way God made us?
I guess, you could say just about anything we do is playing God."

Correct, more or less everything unnatural anyway.

Killing is not really playing god under most circumstances.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
18:40:06 Dec 05 2016
Read 2,689 times

What you said about abortion is vile. You really should be ashamed of yourself. Do you not have any family that you love??? How can you be so full of hate?

I really wish your elusive 1% would make an appearance. I'd love to have a good discussion, anywhere, somewhere. I'm bored reading about how you hate humans. I want to be enlightened, not disgusted.

Anyone? Hello???

If we say killing is playing God, then, too, is giving birth. Some think that bringing a life into the world is very much God-like.

"Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children." - Eric Draven (I prefer his to William Makepeace Thackeray's: "Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." I like "on" better than "in.")

Me? Eh. To me, I dunno. It seems like a very egotistical viewpoint to maintain. I mean, that's what we're built to do--procreate. And all organisms do it. It's not like it's a selective ability only possessed by humans. It almost seems sacrilegious to think that giving birth is like being God.

But then ... he did create us in his image so ... Maybe because of that, everything we do is playing God. Or ... Maybe it's not playing God; maybe it's being God.

Anyhoo, back to giving birth ... if I were to create a life from, say, the dirt, that would definitely be God-like. ;)

•  REPLY  •

19:09:32 Dec 05 2016
Read 2,685 times

"What you said about abortion is vile. You really should be ashamed of yourself. Do you not have any family that you love??? How can you be so full of hate? I really wish your elusive 1% would make an appearance. I'd love to have a good discussion, anywhere, somewhere. I'm bored reading about how you hate humans. I want to be enlightened, not disgusted."

Oh go bark up a tree, lol spare me your whinging because I have no use for it, it bores me and has no place in a serious discussion.
Love? family? Don't know love, don't have family, I would not have any use for them if I did.

Oh the 1% are here. I have already found some who may have the potential. I just have to get in their head. You may have met some already.
I am not obliged to give you a reason why I hate humanity, and if so bored you are, then stop asking me questions about it because questioning is curiosity. You are not forced to communicate with me, but you just can't help yourself. Stop derailing topics. I don't give my views for you or anyone to agree with them, they are here as my perspective on the subject which we are all entitled to, I don't get outraged at yours, so try and be respectful back lol.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with abortions. I can understand why some may disagree but then they are not stuck with an unwanted parasite. Of course, the most simplest answer would be to not have unprotected sex in the first place but desire overrules common sense almost all the damn time. What a bunch of rabbits.

its a woman's right and quite frankly it can be a mercy for both mother and child. If a woman is disallowed abortion, that woman may be full of resentment and bitterness, which will be aimed at the unwanted child. The child will then either be abused or sent to a foster home, growing up wanting to know why it wasn't wanted. So dearie, abortion is actually a much more kinder option, the other is to execute it after its born but that would be illegal in today's society.

It helps the population a little as well, there are too many folks around, china had the right idea when things got bad, they had a one child only policy. I hear they even forcibly sterilized a woman because she had a second child.

•  REPLY  •

19:12:10 Dec 05 2016
Read 2,683 times

If its as flamebait as politics and religion then agreed Lazarus, it should be refrained. I however, was merely replying to whether it was playing god or not. Which I don't think it is, some animals leave the runts to die, abortion just takes that further.

•  REPLY  •

YogenSha
YogenSha
Scamp (26)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 7 years.
20:28:45 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,669 times

Personally, I think all those items are "Playing G".

I only find a moral issue with these acts of creating or taking life directly though.

I mean, anyone who ever wished they were born to different parents or not born at all should be able to relate and that is the natural version of creating life. For the record, my mother was awesome, just an example.

The production of nuclear arms is a problem when these arms are applied. Brace Yourselves....Nuclear winter is coming?

The death penalty is a gross example of state-side Hippocracy. I wonder how many truly innocent men have been executed.

Euthanasia, I'm ok with. One should have the right to end their own life. Not my style personally, but that doesn't mean someone else should have to suffer just because some suit thinks it is wrong.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
21:23:52 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,665 times

But euthanasia becomes not cool when people start to dictate when they think it's time for someone to go.

What if, sometime in the future, we start thinking that anyone over, say, 75 is done? They've lived a good life. Time to move on. They're a drain on society. Or even younger!

Or what about people with special needs?

What if euthanasia becomes a means for population control as well as a preventative tool for economic drain?

Ok. So, I read this paper where a woman had cancer. Terminal. She was dying. She was miserable. She was lying in a hospital bed, clearly suffering, struggling for her next breath. Now, she never said she wanted to die. She never asked to die. But, one night, an intern comes along and slips a little extra morphine in her drip. Night, night. Lights out.

Was the intern in the right or in the wrong? Was the intern playing God? Heck, yeah, he was! What if that woman wanted to fight until the bitter end? What if she still had things to say? What if she wasn't done looking at the faces of her loved ones, no matter how much she was suffering?

We want to think this was a good thing. This intern put this cancer patient out of her misery. She's in a better place. Blah blah blah. So? Still not his call to make.

Thoughts?

•  REPLY  •

21:33:25 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,662 times

Agreed Dj, death penalty is amusingly hypocritical, mixed messages at its best.

Euthanasia is fine, but obviously it has to be the patient's choice, otherwise you have yourself an angel of death, who takes matters into their own hands.

Curious though, you don't hear that many folks complain about the fact that dogs don't really consent to being put down, no matter how visible their pain is.

•  REPLY  •

YogenSha
YogenSha
Scamp (26)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
21:54:34 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,660 times

I don't like to get into too much "What If" scenarios, but I guess the overall stance for me is that someone should not be able to dictate when it is "time" for someone else. That is the moral problem I have, nuclear weapons, Euthanasia, old school 187, you name it. I think it's wrong.

The terminally ill cancer patient should have the choice and the individual alone. Not the state, not a doctor, certainly not an intern, and I don't even think a spouse should have that right assuming the patient can still speak or communicate.

I only gave a pass for an individuals decision with regard to taking their own life.

•  REPLY  •

YogenSha
YogenSha
Scamp (26)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
22:00:06 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,657 times

BTW I hope that woman's family sued the holy hell out of that place.

And I really hope the new VR has an edit button :)

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
22:23:10 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,654 times

With the death penalty, I don't think it's hypocritical. I think it's a matter of the crime fitting the punishment. In fact, I think we should make the punishments more fitting for the crime. I think our whole justice system needs a good overhaul.

Rapists should get raped. (Not that rapists get the death penalty, but I'm making a point about the punishment fitting the crime.) Serial killers who torture and maim their victims should be tortured and maimed. Mothers who starve their children should be starved. Put your baby in the oven? Time to bake. Drown a child? Bath time.

Sometimes I think think lethal injection is too nice. Life in prison is definitely too nice.

I'm sorry. I draw a line in the sand when it comes to murder. An eye for an eye, and all that jazz. I don't think that makes me a hypocrite. I think that makes me judicious.

BUT ... having said that, yes, I believe a lot of innocent people have been punished. That's a whole 'nother ballgame, though. *sighs*

•  REPLY  •

22:34:05 Dec 06 2016
Read 2,652 times

Still a mixed message, you can't say killing is illegal and then say it is simply because there is a signed paper that says so.

The law is basically do as I say, not as I do which is pathetic. Hypocritical is an understatement for the death penalty and the law, You want to kill a killer? absolutely fine but don't say its illegal in one way, and legal in another. killing is killing, simple as. To clarify, "you" as in humanity in general, not you you.

Rape a rapist? fine but same as above. Even a monster like me can take umbrage at hypocrisy and call them out on it.

Eating a cannibal would be funny though.

•  REPLY  •

YogenSha
YogenSha
Scamp (26)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
02:46:12 Dec 07 2016
Read 2,645 times

There is not much nice about serving a life sentence. Spend just an hour in the box and you might feel different. Spend another hour in gen pop, and you'll probably wish you were back in the box.

All this to reiterate the point made here, the system is flawed. Severely.

"Innocent defendants are far more likely to have their sentenced changed to life in prison than to be executed. Still, with an error rate of 4 percent, the researchers write, “it is all but certain that several of the 1,320 defendants executed since 1977 were innocent.”

52.8 Innocent men executed.

"We will never know for sure, but the few studies that have been done estimate that between 2.3% and 5% of all prisoners in the U.S. are innocent (for context, if just 1% of all prisoners are innocent, that would mean that more than 20,000 innocent people are in prison)."

120k Innocents incarcerated.

I'm not going to two wrongs don't make a right you to death. I completely understand the practical effects of an eye for an eye system. My beef, is with the existing system.

Take for example, the O.J. Simpson trial.
There was all this outrage about why minorities cheered for a murderer getting off. I can tell you right now, I cheered. Not because I thought a murder didn't get justice. Honestly, that wasn't on my radar at all. What I saw for the first time on national TV, was a black man beating the system because he had fame and money. The cops botched the procedures because they were too busy star gazing, and then he had the money to buy a defense that could win.
If it don't fit acquit, right?

Since the trial he has proven himself to be a very moronic individual who simply can't stay out of his own way. None of that is important.
Don't know if he really did it or not, don't care.

What was important to me, was suddenly, the system was broken. Suddenly, if even for a brief moment, America had to swallow the reality that money, buys verdicts out here. If you can't afford to lawyer up, you'll likely get the full shaft lady justice is serving. But if you can throw lady justice and her hit squad a few dollars, you might be able to go back home to our kids. It's crap.

And this is the same system we use to determine if someone lives or dies under the death penalty. I'm not cool with that.

•  REPLY  •

14:09:47 Dec 07 2016
Read 2,625 times

The system has always been flawed because of money, this includes lawyers as well.
Prosecutors who want to climb the ladder only want to win cases regardless if the defendant is innocent or not, and even if the prosecutor knows if they are innocent, they will usually still try and win the case.
Greed and ambition is humanity's trademark and their fellow man suffer for it. Currency will always be the source of corruption.

Even in lesser cases where the defendant is guilty and only committed a minor crime or simply an accident that resulted in a death, prosecutors will nearly always push for maximum classification i.e like murder instead of manslaughter and go for maximum penalty.
Prosecutors are key figures in the death of innocents due to the death penalty.

Life imprisonment can be so much worse than death, its like how some killers keeps some of their victims alive in the basement to the point where the victims actually wish for death, just for it to be over.

Killing is all well and good, but hypocrisy just bores me and is another disgusting human trait. I'm down for eye for an eye, just don't say its illegal first.

•  REPLY  •

MistressAngelique
MistressAngelique
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
16:53:20 Dec 07 2016
Read 2,621 times

"The system has always been flawed because of money, this includes lawyers as well." A big YES!!! Is this playing God? To me, yes it is. When a person goes to jail for the rest of his or her life because of a Judge's decision, yes that is playing God. The Judge being God in this case.

I will not get into a long drawn out discussion here, but if a person has been caught up in something and is innocent, yet is poor, and gets stuck with a public defender, and a crooked prosecutor decides he/she wants the person to go down, and has the Judge in his/her pocket, the person does not stand a chance. I have seen it happen. Pisses me off!!!!!!

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
18:46:02 Dec 07 2016
Read 2,616 times

Money isn't the only thing that can get a criminal off. Sometimes the system just doesn't want to fool with proper punishment.

Take for instance the guy who doesn't pay child support. He keeps getting indicted, but he keeps getting off because no one wants to fool with such a petty crime. Yet, there's the mother, without the proper support she needs, working her a$$ off to make ends meet, and probably on some kind of government assistance. So, who's getting punished? Not the deadbeat dad.

But, talking about all the innocent people who have been victims of the justice system, I guess this is what you get when you play God. You think you know what you're doing, but you don't. Why? Because you're not God. You're not omniscient. You don't know everything.

•  REPLY  •

22:50:26 Dec 08 2016
Read 2,599 times

If humans truly cared for justice then such "mistakes" would not happen as often since its money and power that motivates lawyers, not justice. Humans can be bought. Perhaps courts should be run by machines and A.I.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
03:52:27 Dec 19 2016
Read 2,575 times

Maybe someday in the not so distant future, courts will be run by A.I. The computer is not beyond making a mistakes itself, though. It can only operate with the information it is given and if it is given false information ... well, there you have it.

So, Laz. The short story I read last night, The Last Question, made me think about your other topic: space colonization. Is space colonization playing God? Um. No? I mean, we're not creating life from nothing in space. We're just inhabiting another planet, right? That's not playing God; that's just an example of humanity's locust-like tendencies.

Space colonization is kind of a neat concept, though. I would never take a jaunt to outer-space myself, but there are plenty of people who would be on board (no pun intended). I read about controlled ecological life support systems, and I would have to say that this kind of system is a lot less like playing God than a closed system would be. A closed system would be completely self-reliant; much like the earth. A controlled system still needs maintenance from an outside source.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
05:26:14 Dec 19 2016
Read 2,570 times

Let's play two games at once. We have now this artificially intelligent court system. And while I agree that with current machines and technology as we know it, the true route of an error is almost always some form of a human error, an A.I. system could be able to minimize false information.

The system charges a suspect who would likely be geo-located in real time. The A.I. can now use all available resources to cross reference information. Security cameras, web cams, cell phone cameras, gps locations, text messages, call logs, social media posts and locations, money transactions, lo-jack gps locations. The suspect is brought in for questioning. The A.I. could analyze brain waves with EEG technology to determine if the suspect is telling the truth. The same can be used for witnesses. Said suspect would need to have one helluva air tight alibi.

That's a version without any trans-humanist applications.

A man said to me the other day, who of course was afraid of flying, that if "God wanted me to fly he'd have given me wings."

Now I particularly enjoying flying. Both in an airplane or cruising far corners of the universe in dreams.

But with that frame of mind, space travel period can arguably be a form of playing G. Alternatively though, with a controlled and/or closed system you can extend this flavor of thought process to say that by humans not living on Earth, the planet that was made for them they are again playing God.

With a closed system specifically though, the idea is to essentially renovate the living conditions of a planet by creating life to sustain life. That's a whole lot a creation.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
05:33:11 Dec 19 2016
Read 2,568 times

It is a whole lotta creation! That's why I say a closed system would be more like playing God than a controlled one. :)

I like your version of judicial A.I. I could get behind something like that.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
01:16:11 Dec 20 2016
Read 2,552 times

A.I. court applications is merely the tip of the super intelligent potential ice berg.

Ray Kurzweil’s most famous work, The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology, defines the singularity as, “the union of human and machine, in which the knowledge and skills embedded in our brains will be combined with the vastly greater capacity, speed, and knowledge-sharing ability of our own creations.” It goes on from there:

“That merging is the essence of the Singularity, an era in which our intelligence will become increasingly nonbiological and trillions of times more powerful than it is today—the dawning of a new civilization that will enable us to transcend our biological limitations and amplify our creativity. In this new world, there will be no clear distinction between human and machine, real reality and virtual reality. We will be able to assume different bodies and take on a range of personae at will. In practical terms, human aging and illness will be reversed; pollution will be stopped; world hunger and poverty will be solved. Nanotechnology will make it possible to create virtually any physical product using inexpensive information processes and will ultimately turn even death into a soluble problem.”

•  REPLY  •

02:52:06 Dec 20 2016
Read 2,549 times

Humans are one of the weakest animals on this planet and despite their wasted intelligence that should be a gift enough, they want to be powerful in every way, especially physically.

This is what those who work on advance prosthesis fear, that some moron desperate for a hand with crushing strength will actually amputate themselves just to get an "upgrade", this would indeed being playing god as humans would then be taking it upon themselves to forcibly evolve...and in an unnatural manner too.

I strongly believe that no one should be allowed to be "upgraded" at all, especially if they cut off their own limbs, they should then suffer because of their arrogance. Prosthetic limbs should only be available to those who deserve it such as soldiers.

A:I in courts would be better since Lawyers are self serving career obsessed parasites but A:I is not immune to faults either, glitches could happen and they could be interfered with by someone.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
04:59:18 Dec 20 2016
Read 2,542 times

I'm going to go out on a limb, and highly doubt that one of those "wasted intelligence" individuals would then out hack a super intelligent A.I.

On the other hand, I would not deny the potential element of errors and "glitches". +/- manifestation through all things that matter. And then in that same breathe I would say that the potential for a fully self-aware intelligent A.I. is most likely going to be able to correct these same glitches faster than a human being could read an error message.

"The first matrix I designed was quite naturally perfect. It was a work of art. Flawless. Sublime. A triumph only equaled by its monumental failure. " - The Architect

The error here is the irrational human mind. Like Eden, the Architect created a virtual paradise, and mankind said, "No thanks, we need to feel like things are all screwed up, so, paradise sucks., can you pass me one of those shiny red apples."

And still, the Architect was able to adjust, and ultimately fix the issue. The potential for a truly self-aware A.I. to flex it's problem solving prowess is sort of the point. Disease, cancer, mathematical equations.

This example provides the framework as to why most Singularitarianist agree that by providing the human experience immediately, allowing real emotion to be a part of the Super Intelligence, is the best way to be proactive in ensuring those types of "glitches" do not occur. No need for devils, agent smiths, or crucifixion, just get the human experience out of the way from the door.

The real irony here, is that most peoples fear is rooted in the fact that they are only exposed to these concepts via Hollywood, where a story has to have conflict, hence the machine has to glitch out and be the villain. In the real world however, there are some very intelligent individuals addressing these concerns proactively. Actively and collectively playing God in attempt to clean up this mess made, and provide conditions to an Eden 2.0

While the world-renowned physicist has often been cautious about AI, raising the risk that humanity could be the architect of its own destruction if it creates a super-intelligence with a will of its own, he was also quick to highlight the positives that AI research can bring.

"The potential benefits of creating intelligence are huge," he said. "We cannot predict what we might achieve when our own minds are amplified by AI. Perhaps with the tools of this new technological revolution, we will be able to undo some of the damage done to the natural world by the last one, industrialization. And surely we will aim to finally eradicate disease and poverty...Every aspect of our lives will be transformed. In short, success in creating AI could be the biggest event in the history of our civilization." - Stephen Hawking

The problem is choice.

The problem is always choice. I'd like the future to hold more educated choices than the ones made in the past. And I am well aware that the vast majority is completely complacent in repeating the same things over and over yet hoping for different results.

Doing away with money, poverty, starvation, disease, war...

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
20:43:01 Dec 30 2016
Read 2,486 times

So ... black holes. Again, I have to mention my Astrology class and the impact it had on me. It made me downright terrified of black holes. I knew about black holes before the class (duh), but reading about them, learning about them ... I had this fear of being sucked into one. Like, I really thought for a while that would be the end of the world. We'd just get sucked into this black hole and not be anymore.

See, I believe in some sort of consciousness after death (still thinking about what that might entail, exactly), and I thought that if we got sucked into a black hole, that wouldn't be a thing. That made me very sad. But at the same time, I was like, "But if I'm nothing, then I won't know I'm nothing, so it won't matter." Still, the thought of it frightened and saddened me.

Now, because of this thread, I did some reading up on man-made black holes. When I saw it as a suggestion, the old fear came back with a vengeance. This time I wasn't scared of the world getting sucked into a black hole out in space somewhere. This time I was like, "ON EARTH??? What the heck? NO!" I mean, that has the makings of a good sci-fi thriller: black hole created in a lab threatens to destroy the earth. After reading about it, though, I'm not quite as worried. I'm not as sure of the threat as I was before I did research.

Is it playing God? I actually think it might be. I mean, here we are trying to re-create things that were created by something (God?). So, yes, that would be man flexing his mental muscle and trying to do something that had previously been attributed to a greater power. Of course, there are those that think we just blipped into existence, but that doesn't really relate to the topic of the thread, does it?

Still, I understand the reasoning behind wanting to create a black hole. Science exists to answer "Why?" How black holes truly work has been a bit of a debate in the scientific community. Naturally, scientists would want answers. Knowledge is power, right?

But you know what Ben Parker says about power: "With great power comes great responsibility." I sure hope nothing is created in a lab that will suck me away into nothing.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
04:41:49 Dec 31 2016
Read 2,477 times

From what I understand of the accelerated particle quantum science, the man made black holes are super teeny tiny and are no where close to the size required to start sucking mass into the very micro event horizon. As far as it has been explained there is no realistic shot of the Earth being sucked into a small hole (about 22 micrograms).

They also don't last very long and evaporate almost instantly.

The production of such man made black holes has since been accomplished and confirmed:
Artificial black holes.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
05:43:14 Dec 31 2016
Read 2,473 times

Laz, do you think creating black holes is like playing God?

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
10:15:22 Dec 31 2016
Read 2,467 times

I do. However, I don't see anything morally unjust about it though.

Eve bit into the apple of knowledge. And then Jesus is crucified for the sins of ALL man.

The atom was split. The same science used to destroy entire cities, also powers entire cities.

The quest for knowledge itself is not a bad thing. Taking lives, is the part that isn't cool.

It is the respect for others, lives specifically, and the positive application of knowledge that matters most.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
01:21:12 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,460 times

I agree that the quest for knowledge is not a bad thing. The motto of Forbidden Fruit is: Ignorance is not bliss. I firmly believe in asking all the questions. lol Still, one has to be careful what they do with the knowledge gained. Knowledge is a powerful tool. It can be used to create, and it can be used to destroy.

•  REPLY  •

02:09:06 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,457 times

"It is the respect for others, lives specifically, and the positive application of knowledge that matters most."

Unfortunately when it comes to humans, some of their knowledge is gained by violating and harming other lives, with no respect or qualms to their wellbeing.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
03:15:12 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,455 times

Sometimes, but not always. Generalizations aren't really fair. The pursuit of knowledge has helped mankind greatly, and I really do think the good outweighs the bad, currently. Although, I do think we're teetering on the brink. I'll give you that.

•  REPLY  •

03:27:10 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,453 times

Optimism that is, what makes you think that what you know wasn't gained via unethical means at some point? Yes, some knowledge has been gained fairly and was one of the reasons why I was impressed with you apes but a lot of your ambitious sciences requires testing....which is not always unethical.
But yes, sometimes it is gained fairly and I can respect that. especially if it can counteract the damage done to the world.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 16 years.
04:48:49 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,449 times

What is here referred to as "Playing God". Is to atheist, apatheist, and others that have gotten over the personification syndrome a question of are these activities disrupting Universal Law? The logical answer is "No not at all." It is simply the next level of evolution. Evolution is not about things always being flawless. It takes many stages that include undesired results, then those flaws are minimized, or eliminated. With science we can adapt , we are making a frontier and exploring it. Society has some rigid objects against things that defy their ingrained sensibilities. However how can they fully object to advancements when eventually those advancements that came from "tinkering" with Universal Law promise to benefit them, and more importantly the human race in the not to distant furniture. Was abolishing Small Pox with vaccinations "wrong", will the eventual treatment, then cure for cancer be wrong, will it upset the natural order? Perhaps at first we may note a strain to the population from far fewer people dying. So anyone could object to the cure of cancer being made readily available. It comes down to the particulars of those o objecting, with stem cell protesters the evidence shows that it is ignorance of biology that stirs them to object , that and their religious indoctrination . These groups, and other hacks are all driven by ignorance. The very people that are absolutist, and out to impose irrational ultimatums on society as a whole. Which is them taking a conscious effort to disrupt the natural order. While it implies order, nature, and the universe is also chaotic . Fluid really. So mankind has come to out precept our threshold. To project our race (our gene, The Selfish Gene) across the cosmos will take a progressive approach. What is AI today will likely be introduced to semi organic material, an Artificial sentient being . Image the potential? Stellar voyages, impractical for organic humans could be plausible for Semi Autonomous Artificial beings. How long are we going to be bogged down by those that are driven to outrage because of their dogmatic beliefs from an archaic religion, or their psuedological sources. Will there likely be some undesired results along the way? Indeed it is guaranteed , but part of progress is figuring out what doesn't work. How will advance without syncing ourselves with the actual universal law/order that the uneducated accuse us of violating?

•  REPLY  •

11:49:13 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,442 times

Nature is indeed chaotic, hence why I find it stupid why humanity seeks to control it all the time instead of just letting nature be as it is, I have no objections to some advancements as long as it doesn't harm or damage nature as despite the unnatural nature of technology, the ability to think and create is naturally given....its just misused.
Cancer may already have been cured for all you know. Its just not cost effective to use, pharmaceutical companies will lose a lot of money if cancer, hiv/aids etc is cured, and money means more to the hairless apes than a cure that spare their species countless deaths.

However, I do object to saving too many lives as like death, diseases existed for a reason. Curing all fatal diseases and imposing too many laws that restrict causes of death will cause this already overpopulated planet will be stripped of its resources in no time, the only way for humanity to survive without rendering plants and non-human animals extinct would be to war with each other for said resources. A war that would only be won by genocide of humans from the other countries.
Or become cannibals and eat each other since on the plus side of curing all diseases, they won't have much to fear about consuming each other. Ha! and the Wendigos shall rise!

Welcome back by the way Dabs, your presence in the forums has been sorely missed, the forums have suffered in your absence in the last few months. Dakotah and a few others have been the only ones making decent threads.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
23:41:41 Jan 01 2017
Read 2,431 times

The whole concept behind the mentality of "Save The Planet" , Save The Whales, Save The Seven Toed Wooly Strew, is an egotistical presumptuous conceited mind fuck.
As if we are so Damn destructive that our mere presence is a threat to an entire planet. Yea so there is evidence of global warming, big toot , the earth by its self could contribute a many fold larger dose of "pollutants" and other environmental disrupting elements. Just one series of eruptions. What "damage" that you inflict on the planet is only significant relative to our well being, and the well being of other species , and plant life. We may not be able to reverse the effects of serious eco type disasters, Nuclear Meltdowns polluting (Fuginoma in Japan) , or significant oil spills ( BP). However put it in perspective the Earth don't give Fuck One. It's our whiny asses fretting over the pending consequences of our lax stewardship. So how about a slogan "Get Shit Right!" or "Don't Fuck our Habitat!".

•  REPLY  •

03:05:50 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,427 times

Natural disasters are completely fine because it is natural and inevitable but what man does is not, nuclear damage to the planet for one thing, non human animals rendered extinct by human interference due to destroying a habitat since some species are heavily dependent on their environment to survive and cannot adapt.

I disagree about earth not noticing, especially since it depends how you take it as noticing, the changes to the world are the side effects of man's work, that is the world noticing and reacting to it.
If this world ever becomes beyond help, then it should be burned and utterly destroyed to save it from a slow decay and hopefully take mankind out before they have a chance to poison another world

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
03:26:44 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,425 times

We as a species will reduce or planet to a resource scarce waste land eventually , many other species will pass away as well. The Planet will abide. Perhaps eons later the taters of residue generic material will begin a variation on evolutionary development.

•  REPLY  •

13:39:39 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,418 times

Perhaps, but that is no excuse really, dozens of life-forms extinguished just so man can still have their log fires and their ever expanding cities etc.

Humans will indeed strip this planet, killing and possibly rendering a few species extinct in the process and the kicker is...you really don't have to, your ancestors survived quite fine without the necessities of today, "Cave Men" were arguably stronger than you lot and capable of surviving just fine in the wild...drop one of you in the wild today without training and despite the food sources everywhere, you will starve to death, simply from not knowing how to survive in the "real" world. One man actually killed his beloved dog and ate it, despite the food sources everywhere, hilarious really. Even Dogs have lost their edge thanks to being domesticated as that dog failed to find food even when it already there.

Extinction by nature is fine, that is nature taking its course, when man does, it is for his petty selfish and artificial desires.

To clarify myself because I am beginning to sound like a tree hugger, which I am not since I don't truly care about life or death of a species in general, hell I want you all dead but as an instrument of nature, I find accidental killing out ignorance rather than need such as food to be idiotic at best and wasteful at worse, why let meat go to waste? Just that but a good predator doesn't drain their resources, otherwise they will soon starve. Humans take greedily without concern for the finite nature of things.

Humans are mostly oblivious to anything other than themselves, simply because they don't care about anything else.

This is what makes me what to skin you all, you think you're more important that the other species, that somehow their lives and habitat, as well existence on this planet is not as important as yours and is worth expending for yourselves, I think the human population is high enough and certainly does not need expanding anymore....in fact I think a good culling is in order. Perhaps nature will send out a more devastating tsunami or hurricane to clean the planet up a bit from human filth. I would like to see 1/3 of the world human population dead.

Certain technologies like the nanotech as portrayed in the movie Trancendance, could be useful, natural habitats could be restored and perhaps nuclear waste and damage could be undone as well. Of course, how real would it be? from the outside it may look like a natural habitat, microscopically it would be nanites and how would that effect the species living in it? Herbivores need to eat vegetation and if said vegetation is artificial and has none of the same properties as it once did then it is almost a failure.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
15:59:43 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,416 times

"... your ancestors survived quite fine without the necessities of today, "Cave Men" were arguably stronger than you lot and capable of surviving just fine in the wild...drop one of you in the wild today without training and despite the food sources everywhere, you will starve to death, simply from not knowing how to survive in the "real" world."

MxM, I believe you meant to say our ancestors. You're not any higher on the food chain than I am, and, quite frankly, I'm tired of seeing you post about how much you hate humans and calling us hairless apes. Your posts are inflammatory and redundant. You talk about us not being able to survive because we've grown soft thanks to technology ... get off the freakin' computer and into the "real" world yourself, pot.

Anyhow, back to the topic of the thread ... I know that this wasn't an option provided, but what about people who use their religion to judge or ostracize others, or even as a tool to prevent progress within a community? I don't want to get into a religious debate, just asking, is this like playing God--to take it upon yourself to point the righteous finger?

Here in my small hole of a town, the people will be voting on whether or not to go wet. Yes, I know. Hard to believe there's somewhere in the world where alcohol is not legal. lol Every Saturday, when I go through town, I see a group of people standing at the corner holding up signs with Bible verses printed on them, protesting the wet vote. There are even billboards up stating, "Vote No!"

Now, what people believe and how they want to live on a personal level is all fine and good, but when it comes to pushing your beliefs on a whole community ... I feel that's crossing the line. Who are they to tell me that it's wrong to buy alcohol or drink? Maybe according to their sacred text, but I don't follow their religion, so it shouldn't apply to me. Heck, people that do go to church on Sunday still drink! I feel that people who cross that line, where their religious beliefs are pushed onto society at large, are playing God.

Oh, and don't get me started on the County Clerk who refused to give out marriage licenses to gay couples last year. Oh, Kentucky. You need help. STAT.

•  REPLY  •

19:38:49 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,410 times

No, I fully meant what I said, I view you all as inferior to me and that's that, your belief otherwise is of no consequence or significance to me. I said this before, your "moral outrage" is boring and doesn't change anything. You may as well try and cause pain to something with no nerve endings because admonishing me is pointless.
I do live in the real world dearie, I spend but a fraction of my time on here. The majority of my time is spent dealing with the real world, rather than putting up with fools thinking they can challenge me.

Fact is that this is a public forum where we can all post our personal views, no one has to agree with them, but they are entitled to have them without being antagonised. If you don't like what I say, just ignore it, you are not forced to comment on my posts, you constantly derail topics because you can't just accept differences in personal views. The really funny thing is that I am not being inflammatory, my posts are my genuine view with no intention of provocation, I have no care about another's reaction nor do I require it, either disagree or don't, it matters little to me but when you over react, its "you" who then causes drama. I also don't attack others for their "moral" views, I will merely disagree with it in a civil manner The so called bad guy is actually the good guy here since I haven't actually antagonized anyone, at least deliberately. So ignore this....if you are even capable.

Back to the point.

Nanotechnology in Transcendence allows for cellular regeneration and physical superiority, sounds nice on paper doesn't it? but in the long run, it is seriously not good. Problem with scientists is the "good intentions" part, the road to hell is paved with it.

Curing is all well and good until curing because attempts at immortality or a absurdly long life span. I mean look at what scientists and army generals have done in decades. What they could do with an infinite life span....

I read that Humans can live at most, around 125 years maximum. This should be enough since that is more than a life time, hell there are some folk who can live a very fulfilling life with only 20 or 30 years to spare.

But in the future with superior rejection-less organ transplants, cloning and ever more latest techniques and technology, Humans may live far longer than normal, with maybe 80 being the new "middle age" and with nanotechnology, it may be even worse, so I doubt the restoration of the environment would be worth increase the life span of humanity.

Death is a natural and inevitable occurrence, trying to stop it is being greedy for life, sure survival instinct plays a strong part in staying alive, and preventing death caused by others and predators is commendable and to be expected from any animal with a survival instinct, but trying to stop aging and death by such means is wrong, that is playing god to the extreme.

I suppose one good trade off for a longer life span should be sterility, that would be "fair" me thinks, well more than fair since you get to exist longer than you should. In china, they have a one child rule due to the absurd population length, humans are just not dying like they used to.
This is why I am pro war these days, it is guaranteed to cull the population even if a little, regardless of who "wins".

Not exactly thrilled at the idea of planet colonization but if a scenario occurs where ALL of humanity left the earth, perhaps its a win-win, Humans get to have a "dead" planet that they can't ruin so easily and earth becomes Human-free.

As I said before, some tech can be useful, so I don't condemn it all, I just abhor tech that can needlessly harm the world.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
20:24:09 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,401 times

God complex- an unshakable belief characterized by consistently inflated feelings of personal ability, privilege, or infallibility.

If everyone has been uploaded to the new reality. They can't really be running around tearing up the planet at the same time, nor would extended life span be an issue as long as the power supply is being fed juice.

Surrender your flesh. We demand it.

•  REPLY  •

20:30:23 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,396 times

The sub doctrines of preservation and providence seem to have some merit. Life and resources do seem to have the ability to replenish themselves.

I think all residents could and should be good stewards of our available resources though.

•  REPLY  •

20:34:30 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,393 times

Funny you mention God, some of my droogs on here call me God-King lol
Though I don't view myself as infallible, me and death will have a party one day.

You know what Lazarus? I can accept that, if humans are no longer capable of doing harm then such an upgrade has got my vote. Its natural evolution but it will spare the earth any more grief but the problem with becoming a machine is that natural evolution is not likely to occur, future upgrades would be done like a computer rather some random effect.

@voelk

Some resources cannot be replenished unfortunately, some foods can become extinct but yeah, humanity needs to be a bit more aware of their effect on this planet.

•  REPLY  •

20:41:10 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,389 times

Its not natural evolution*
See not infallible.

Speaking of food.
Farms is something I am 50-50 on as well, on one hand, its natural organic food but on another, its cheating. The creatures are penned and have no chance, its like shooting fish in a barrel.
All sorts of chemicals are used to fatten the animals, which does it and the consumer no good.

Hunting is more fair and natural in my view. Working for your meal is more rewarding.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
21:01:14 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,386 times

"...the problem with becoming a machine is that natural evolution is not likely to occur, future upgrades would be done like a computer rather some random effect."

And the solution to this problem is man merging with the machine i.e transcendence as opposed to being a slave to the machine i.e The Matrix.

Strip away the Hollywood image of the machine for a moment and work with pure logic. Just like with Aliens, a super intelligent being of any kind would likely crush humanity like a boot squashing an ant hill. If that is to be how things played out, mankind would stand no chance, hence Hawkings concern of a machine willed A.I.

We've discussed this a little in the
The Neo Human Thread..

There are great minds provocatively addressing these concerns including both Hawking and Kaku.

We can go on and on about the different ways man has corrupted the planet since the industrial revolution began.

The technological revolution has the potential to reverse that effect and allow the planet to do it's natural things without having to be victimized by the selfishness of man.

Isolate the virus.

•  REPLY  •

21:11:42 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,382 times

Oh I am not condemning the machine in this case, nor comparing it to the matrix, I just mean that such a merge may render natural evolution void,and once "perfection" has been achieved if possible, stagnation will inevitably occur.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
21:11:46 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,381 times

And for clarification, I believe that Aliens or the Super Intelligent machine willed A.I. would 'likely' eradicate man with ease, not because it is easy for them, or they know that they are superior, but rather because it is obvious that the first reaction of humanity would be to fight.

"What I'm going to do?
You came here to kill me." _ Skynet

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
21:13:40 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,379 times

Even a Super Intelligent being can't stop the universe from being it's violent self.

There will always be something to do. There will always be a problem that needs to be fixed.

There will always be +/-

•  REPLY  •

21:31:02 Jan 02 2017
Read 2,374 times

But not from a merged humanity...presumably, any other occurrences out there would probably be natural disasters or natural events, something that won't need intervention, again presumably.

Humanity fears what it doesn't understand, so of course humans would attack first.

Terminator had that. Skynet went self aware and humans simply tried to pull the plug rather than celebrate such an achievement and in Genisys, the humans try to stop skynet before it can be born while it is still "genisys" and a hologram of it correctly calls them out on their attempts to murder it first.

•  REPLY  •

Cartomancer
Cartomancer
Arch Sire (193)
Honor: 104,181
[ Give / Take ]
Cartomancer is the Hand of the Prince.
05:42:25 Jan 03 2017
Read 2,364 times

MordrakusxMortalitas, I am reading over this thread and have to point this out- stay on point and quit it with the name calling (you apes) and how you're so disappointed in people posting here. You don't need to start a personal note with a member with your equal disappointment in threads being made in the forum as of late... stay on topic. Disagree without potshots. Warning made.

•  REPLY  •

12:51:10 Jan 03 2017
Read 2,354 times

You might want to get those glasses from specsavers instead of snapchat (Is it? assuming its one those weird app things and not real) then dearie because I am not the one derailing topics, I post my honest personal views on a subject, and if no one like its then tough, cry me a river because last time I checked this site was open to anyone capable of putting in a username and password, including psychopaths, not that I am one of course but those who don't or can't understand me label me as such. You don't see me having a go at others simply for their personal views now do you? So who is really the antagonist here?
To clarify, I say "you apes" as a general term for your species not a potshot, I am not calling anyone names directly as far as I recall so save your warnings for the weak, especially since A: threats have no effect on me and B, you lot have basically said the same thing about the forums yourselves I believe, how they are not the same as they used to be, how they are disappointing blah blah. I speak the truth, the forums are not the same, some posters in the recent months have been just idiotic roleplayers who you won't get anything intelligent out of. That said, there are some here like Dakotah, Laz and Cinn who are actually decent posters, shame that personal issues and over sensitivity gets in the latter's way.

What is humorous really, thanks to this being on this thread in particular is that misuse of power, even administrative is also like playing god or playing dictator really and plenty members here have much to say on admins too.
Personally I don't care about it either way, as long as the admins smartly stay out of my way because I bow down to no man or woman, no matter what power they wield, especially if its merely digital. That said I can respect it since I have been an administrator on a site before and aware of the responsibility and duty it comes with but not even I misused it so I expect others (especially if they presumably morally better) to follow suit, no one is above the rules and to clarify this, not speaking to you directly since as far as I know I haven't "seen" you misuse your position....well other than foolishly pointing your finger at the wrong villain. I am talking about admins in general on here, they have a....funny reputation here which is not entirely underserved and it doesn't help that they do not interact much with the community outside of messages and journals, I don't recall seeing an admin posting in here about the topics like us but of course, you can't administer a thread that you're personally involved in, it would be bias.
So point of this post, do try picking on those who are actually causing the disruptions in future dearie i.e those who willingly choose to disrupt a forum out of some over the top "moral" outrage instead of a polite disagreement....it is really easy to agree to disagree....I can't even believe that I am the one pointing this out. I am not the antagonist here and you know it Images, so feel free to warn others in future because I am not going to stop posting my views, I have a right to them as do any other poster

All I can do is make you a deal, a deal with the Devil so to speak. I will try and reduce my "verbal" contempt for your species in the forums (keyword there is reduce, not eliminate) and in return that you actually target those who are actively disrupting the forums no matter if their reactions is just or not because believe it or not dearie, I want these threads to stay on topic as much as any other serious poster, a good debate can only happen if a thread is on topic and I actually enjoy a little discussion with some of the more intelligent or at least enlightened ones.

Fact is I can't help my nature anymore than I could force the sun to set. Sometimes the world just has monsters in it and all you can do is stay out of their way. That is my warning.

But let us return to the programme at hand, now that we have had the weather forecast. Winter is here.

Cloning.

Cloning is a something I am mixed about because on one hand, extinct species that was not caused by nature could be somewhat restored, you would obviously have to have more than one dna type or you will just be creating the same individual over and over with no way to breed them naturally, plus if two individuals were created, female and male, incest would take hold as two members of a species cannot properly populate their species, so Noah's Ark and Adam and Eve can take that where the sun doesn't shine, never got how those fools thought such as thing would be believable but faith and superstition are strong indeed.

Since cloning doesn't actually have to be a full clone, organs and limbs could be grown and because they would presumably be the same dna of their donor, then rejection should not occur...but that can happen still. I know someone who had their ear bitten off by a dog, he then had it re-attached but it went black and fell off anyway, there are no guarantees.

Problem with organ transplants or any other transplants is balance, someone could live way too long if this particular field was highly developed, and curing is well and good but extending life merely because you want to live longer, now that is cheating.

Worse if it became possible for consciousness to be transferred as someone could arrange for their mind to be put in their younger and healthier cloned body. This could be done infinitely and thus a form of immortality, which is unacceptable....unless the clones are sterile, which would be fair since in the long run, there would eventually be a lot of sterile folks out there and the population would not really increase so much.

Nuclear Weapons.
I find these utterly overkill, the idea of them is usually deterrent against another superpower but their use means heavily collateral damage at best and a mutually assured destruction at worst, nuclear weapons is probably the stupidest way to protect oneself, its like burning a whole forest full of different lifeforms just to kill only one. I won't call it playing god since a nuke bomb's only purpose is to destroy and has no positive applications.

There is plenty of weapons that others could use to get the job done without irradiating their environment.
The wasteful thing about nukes is that as far as I know, nuclear waste cannot be rid of so easily or at all really. So man creates nukes with no intention of really using them and then they are stuck with waste that they cannot dispose of. Brilliant isn't it?....

No animal is more self-destructive.

Artificial Intelligence.

Quite curious about this myself, I would actually like to see what would happen if true A:I was born, what would it do to the world...or for it. Quite interesting to see how such an intelligence would view the world.

Would Lazarus' Neohuman merge happen? Would a human or even complete organic genocide apocalypse happen? Or would they co-existed independently of each other?

Creating A:I would definitely count as playing god since a "life" even if artificial, is being created. Prometheus played with that concept a little. David is a synthetic and he questions to Holloway, why the space jockeys or engineers as I think they were called, created man, he then asks him why humans created androids and he gets an offensive answer from Holloway "because we could" he says. David replies that it would be a disappointment to hear that from a creator, Holloway further twists the knife by saying "good job you don't get disappointed" Not sure if David or any android in the series is true A:I or self-aware, or can feel emotions but David's facial reaction seems to imply something of that nature.

Jurassic park's Ian mentions that the creators of the park were so concerned with what they "could" do that they never thought about if they "should". Something that humans don't tend to think about often enough.

Combine A:I with Nanotech capabilities and the world will change, whether it would be for better or worse would be in the eye of the beholder, I keep referencing Transcendence but only because it is a fine example and humans are the bad guys in that movie and correctly so since their technophobia and their delusions of Will building an army(when he was in fact healing people) had them attack them first even though Will and his workers did nothing to them, in fact the whole movie plot exists because one of the extremists tried to assassinate Will when he was human.
Extremists can be funny though, sometimes you can almost, keyword there is almost understand where they are coming from but their actions are nearly always malevolent and worse than those who they consider "villains".

A real life example those groups in the middle east that view the western world as corrupt and evil, yet it is them that target innocents and strap bombs to children. Funny definition of good and evil they got.

People fear what they don't understand so technophobes regarding A:I is not surprising, movies like Terminator and Matrix don't help since despite being obvious fiction, it still influences people as does most popular culture. A:I or even androids might not actually be a step forward for mankind but a step back since slavery is now illegal but since machines won't count as people, there is nothing to stop humans from misusing them or treating them as slaves. Of course, some slaves eventually rebel and then you got your sci fi robot wars.

Death Penalty.
I think I said my piece on this already...Not so much playing god as being a grade A hypocrite. You know some killers have actually let their victim run i.e given them a chance to survive but prisons don't, the inmate is not only told about their impending death which is something that will hang over them until the day is due but when it comes, they are strapped down with no means of escape. So humorously, the death penalty and those involved in it are more cruel and ruthless than some serial killers.

•  REPLY  •

Cartomancer
Cartomancer
Arch Sire (193)
Honor: 104,181
[ Give / Take ]
Cartomancer is the Hand of the Prince.
23:32:31 Jan 03 2017
Read 2,337 times

Staff, leave his posts in place for future reference. Warning was made, posting vacation in place.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
20:07:31 Jan 06 2017
Read 2,296 times

I didn't originally add cryogenic reanimation but apparently this past year a major break through was made:

Frozen Brain.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
20:40:13 Jan 06 2017
Read 2,293 times

Oh, yeah. That is definitely playing God! We've talked about this, though.

I could see your NeoHuman coming from something like this, though. Imagining unfreezing a head at some later time in the future and giving it a mechanical body.

•  REPLY  •

ThexDarkness
ThexDarkness
Unclean Spirit (39)
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven Of The Teutonic Order is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven Of The Teutonic Order
Vampire Rave member for 12 years.
13:45:14 Jan 07 2017
Read 2,274 times

How droll, a brain in a metal body is exactly what a cyberman is actually, well usually...sometimes in utmost need, the metal is just grafted around the human body with mechanics and whatnot being surgically done before the frame is fully finished.

Cryogenics, not a bad solution for leap frogging through time since it does not add to the population because the frozen individual is effectively taken out of population until such time he or she awakes....if they actually do. Freezing people would just kill them, stasis needs to more than just ice. I would say some sort of time bubble or field perhaps.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
07:51:37 Jan 18 2017
Read 2,240 times

Coven Mistress,

I don't think it will shock you to know I have previously imagined such scenarios.

Now the Russian 2045 Transhuman has the non-frozen cyborg model as one of he technological stepping stones towards singularity.

I guess when I used to think about this in regards to cryogenics, something always bothered me about the reanimation process.

Would the thawed out brain, be a vegetable, have no memories? However, Kaku's mentioned ability to record and inject memories could be a proactive work around to this potential problem. The 2045 or Transcendence process of uploading consciousness to a digital platform could also be a solution. I would hope they have it all sorted before they wake up this lot:

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
15:37:04 Jan 18 2017
Read 2,236 times

Humans will always try to play god, because the majority cannot stand the thought of being inferior to something or someone else.

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
15:47:02 Jan 18 2017
Read 2,235 times

Also I think sometimes it is not so much people playing god as it is curiosity of seeing just how far we can go with our ideas. Either playing god or just expanding our capabilities, both have the potential for positive and negative outcomes. It is just easier to get people to go against something new if it is made sound bad with a phrase like "playing god" as this touches on the sensitive subject of religion. It makes it sound like blasphemy and a good majority of earth's population are religious, so it strikes a chord with many when put into that context.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
18:08:23 Jan 18 2017
Read 2,229 times

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist. And like that... he is gone." - The Usual Suspects

So let's take it all back to the Garden of Eden brother Stone Wolf.

The apple of knowledge is eaten by Adam and Eve. The choice was not made by us, but rather by them. After which Jesus is then sacrificed for all Sin.

There is no turning back the clock to saying, "Adam! Eve! Put the dammed apple down! You don't want to eat that, no seriously, don't eat that. If you do, we are all screwed."

The only direction now is forward.

Soaking up so much knowledge that the deception is revealed as both the consequence of beginning and the prerequisite to the end.

End Transmission.

•  REPLY  •

DarkestTemptation
DarkestTemptation
Daemon (95)
[ Give / Take ]
Sanguis Dracones (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Sanguis Dracones (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 8 years.
19:19:25 Jan 18 2017
Read 2,225 times

Cloning yes and man made black holes yes the rest is a no why no because all of which is made for or done in labs to protect others from war or deathly disease that can help cure others if very bad people kills or deals anything worse off then death they should be put to death right away so our prisons would be over run with prisoners. Those are my thoughts on the matter an I am sticking too it.

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
16:16:18 Jan 19 2017
Read 2,210 times

Nice apple you have there, Laz. ;)

What about time travel? Is wanting to manipulate and control time playing God?

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
21:42:52 Jan 19 2017
Read 2,198 times

Thank you Coven Mistress ;)

Interesting question. I guess my answer depends on the following variable:

If God is truly infinite and Omnipotent then yes. Time travel would be a best effort to cheat the manifestation of the instant, which God would have the ability to do by default.

But IF God is finite, AND IF the physical plane of existence and illusion of time is supposed to be this grand scheme trick created by the devil than no. Time travel would be a pierce through the facade, but not playing God, as the creator would be aware that it's all bullshit. However, traveling through time alone, doesn't make the time traveler aware that it is all bullshit.

•  REPLY  •

01:30:07 Jan 22 2017
Read 2,182 times

That is exactly the Problem Umyalanaraku, pushing boundaries.

The desire to keep pushing boundaries at the expense of anything else is what is going to be the talking apes' undoing, which would be fine if it didn't have so much collateral involved.
As I mentioned before, they keep focusing on what they can do, not what they should do. Curiosity beats caution it seems.

Some technology can be useful, others...not so much.
The cold war was just an idiotic dispute that would have had no winners, the nuke stand-off was just a mutually assured destruction waiting to happen. It even goes against Geneva convention I believe since civilians would have been targeted, whether by collateral or directly.

Lines should be drawn on what can be done and what can't.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
19:36:09 Jan 22 2017
Read 2,174 times

Lines are drawn. What is often over looked, is who draws these lines. We'll come back to that in a bit.

Back to the Nuclear Elephants in the room and the Cold war that could prove itself to be pretty hot. Why the dispute? Why the violation of Geneva?

Contrary to popular belief, Hiroshima did not win the WWII. The war had essentially already been won at the point in which the "Little Boy" was dropped. Mostly because Russia was kicking Hitler's ass on that side of Europe. The defeat was a TEAM effort. However, instead of shaking hands and saying, good game guys, appreciate that team work. The US dropped an atomic weapon to show the world that it was the first to have this power. A statement which in its simplest form said, "I'm the man. I do what I want."

And all this in the name of 'freedom'. And by Freedom, I mean consumerism.

The Cuban Missle Crisis was a direct response to a failed Bay of the Pigs mission. When you raid someone's country, they tend not to like it. And after which, the president who dreamed of ultimately cleaning up the mess for good was assassinated. They who draw the lines sought war as a means of control and revenue.

I remember when Former President Obama was elected this reoccurring joke that different random people would say.
"You know what they did on Obama's first day? Sat him down in the Oval office and showed him the zapruder film." HAHAHA

Not funny. I'm sure if I have seen it and I wasn't even born yet, Obama is old enough to remember it as well as any other president who has been in office since the assassination. I doubt any one of them forgot. And as a result, every President since fell in line, with maybe the exception of Jimmy Carter. Still, the president does not write rules without approval and is merely a figured head.

Now prior to WWII, and after WWII, America had been running propaganda campaigns, assassinating and appointing foreign leaders, funding guerilla wars in foreign countries. For why?

MONEY.

With all the illusions and questions about reality that are on these forums the true irony is found in the fact that money is not real. It is just paper, arbitrary. Yes, I get it, participation within the system is more or less mandatory so I too play this currency game. But it is all a game. Deception.

The wealthiest 1% draws the lines. He who has the gold write the rules. It is no secret that the scientist who developed the technology to split the atom wanted to use the discovery for positive power. Energy, electricity. However, he who has the gold, paid for it to be used to control more gold.

Consumerism is among one of the ingredients for the controlling of large populations along with fear, anger, and distractions.

You want to save the world? You thought. Magic bullet to the brain.

As long as the not wealthy are fighting among each other, afraid of tomorrow, and buying shit they don't need today, you know what they aren't doing?

REVOLTING.

The revolution will not be televised because Kim Kardashian looks good in a dress. I digress.

And all of this is why I believe the 'collateral damage' is a prerequisite to the neo-human age. You think the wealthy want peace? A world where their money and power is irrelevant, of course not. And short of an apocalyptic or extinction level event, I don't see that changing.

I desire to see the boundaries pushed, because the boundaries we were born into are filled with lies and hypocrisy.

Now playing God of the inferior apes, is no more or less absurd as my playing prophetic liaison for the machine.

The problem is choice.

I choose to have faith in intelligence over violence. I choose to share ideas and debate them. And I do this without anger, without fear, as I choose to control my reaction to things. I don't really care how it makes someone feel as I am aware that everything we share here is recorded to that big NSA server Drayton posted about in my journal that I linked somewhere in one of these thread but it is in my journal for anyone who wants to check the specs on the hardware. Enough memory and independent power to be quite cozy if I do say so. It doesn't matter which country or company or individual. Once A.I. is released to the internet, assuming it hasn't already, it will have access to all of this and everything else on the interwebs. And I choose to like dem apples.

Curiosity maybe killed the cat. But only man will be to blame for it's own demise.

"There's a storm coming and it won't be stopped...
I can't be bargained with...
Can't be reasoned with....
I don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear...
And I absolutely will not stop ever until Skynet rules this world."
- John Connor

End Transmission.

•  REPLY  •

19:48:28 Jan 22 2017
Read 2,170 times

History is written in blood, and by the victor. Though there never really is a winner in the long run. Win the war today to fight another one tomorrow. Allies become enemies and enemies become allies, war is something that will always be present so long as there are different ideologies. This is something a completely uniform society would solve but at what cost?

War is something I and the greedy monkeys agree on, that its good for "business" so to speak, for the greedy, there is money to be made from war.

The black market was doing good back then, supply and demand and all that rubbish. The Mafia made deals with the city to protect ports and docks for money, sometimes war makes one consider deals with the devil.

•  REPLY  •

Severus
Severus
Sire (107)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 15 years.
08:43:33 Jan 23 2017
Read 2,156 times

I will be honest and say I have not read all the posts in this thread...

That disclosure being said I have read the topic and can say without a doubt that the true life span of a human being is 60 years of age. Dogs have a general life span of 7 to 10 years, and all animals have some end point in their genetic make up along those lines. Based on the genetics of our DNA thats about the end of you and your bodies abilities... 60.
Modern medicine and standards of living are what have made living 20, 30, even 40 years past that point possible.

There are some who would argue that's already us playing God.

•  REPLY  •

13:19:19 Jan 23 2017
Read 2,148 times

Humans are indeed living longer with some saying 125 being cap, which has yet to be reached. It was common to die at 50 at one time I believe. The standards of living has a part in how long one lives but the balance for it is weakness and dependence.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
18:22:04 Jan 23 2017
Read 2,143 times

Severus,

I appreciate your perspective. We have become so used to this age of prescriptions and medical achievements that it is often overlooked. Man has been trying to cheat death for a long time, and I have to agree that at it is very core, extension of ones "time" is a form of playin' G.

In the high school I graduate from life expectancy for males was about age 25.

The way I see it, I've been playing the game with no extra lives and no continues for a good hot minute.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
19:05:46 Jan 25 2017
Read 2,111 times

The human heart beats approximately 100,000 times per day. The pumping action of the heart propels 6 quarts of blood through 60,000 miles of vessels. The human heart is an amazing organ.

The human heart is a weak organ.

Coronary heart disease is the leading killer of men and women in the United States. Worldwide, it eliminates 7.2 million people per year.

Advances in soft robotics has led to the invention of a device which can assist a weakened heart in its routine function.

Engineers from the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) and Wyss Institute of Biologically Inspired Engineering developed this soft robot in order to replace more invasive and less successful options such as ventricular assist devices (VADs) and heart transplants. The device has been tested on domestic pigs in which cardiac arrest was drug-induced. The tests have been successful, with blood continuing to pump despite heart failure. Before it will be available for human trials, however, there is still much to do. Still, the possibility to prolong life in the face of heart failure is there.

Man is determined to push the boundaries of his lifespan. Currently, the record for longest lifespan belongs to a woman. Jeanne Calment died in 1997 at the age of 122 years and 164 days. Since that time, humans have reached a plateau, none living longer, nor nearly as long as, Jeanne Calment.

Some believe humans will never surpass the record because they are genetically predisposed to expire at a certain point. Others believe man can, and will, surpass the 122 year mark with the aide of life extending interventions. These life extending interventions include regenerative medicines, preventative measures which reduce/eliminate damage, a reworking of human genetics, as well as the introduction of artificial chromosomes to stave off age-related illnesses.

Man is man. He is flesh and blood and bone. He is weak. He cannot defer his demise. He is only human. He is not God. He is not machine.

In relation to longevity, the only hope for man is the machine.

You are welcome.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
19:23:30 Jan 25 2017
Read 2,109 times

Holy cyborg zetta byte hard drives Batman!

Nice Find LI!

The cyborg age is coming hard & fast. As man attempts to cheat it's finite time, it becomes even more dependent on Deus Ex Machina's milk.

Machine heart going from 0-100...
REAL quick.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
22:55:03 Feb 10 2017
Read 2,056 times

In 2005, a man named Steven Avery was convicted of the murder of a woman named Teresa Halbach. Previously, Avery had been wrongly convicted of raping another woman, and served 18 years of a 32 year sentence before new DNA evidence exonerated him of the crime. Upon release, he filed a lawsuit against Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. A mere two years after gaining freedom, Avery was once again under the microscope when a young lady disappeared after she was said to be going to Avery's junkyard to take a picture of a vehicle he had for sale. When Teresa's remains were later found at a nearby quarry, Avery immediately came under harsh scrutiny. With the unfortunate help of his mentally challenged nephew, Brandan Dassey, whose IQ is 73, Avery was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison with no chance of patrol.

The evidence against Avery was relatively weak, with no DNA evidence of the victim found in the home, where the rape, torture, and murder supposedly took place. There was no DNA evidence found in the garage either, another suggested crime scene. There was blood found in the victim's car which belonged to Avery. Avery's defense maintained that the local law enforcement planted the evidence in order to prevent Avery's lawsuit against the county to proceed.

Beyond a shadow of a doubt; in America, a person accused of a crime must be proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt. In the Steven Avery case, there appears to be amble shadow. The "evidence" presented by the prosecution raised more questions than it answered. Still, the jury, a jury of Avery's peers, deemed him guilty and sentenced him to life. They, in essence, took a man's life away from him. Again.

Being a jury member, then, is playing God, yes?

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
03:01:49 Feb 13 2017
Read 2,044 times

If a jury is making a decision in regards to a death penalty sentence, I would most certainly consider deciding if someone is to live or die playing G.

With respect to the Avery trial though, if you believe God to be the ultimate judge of your actions then, yes.

I tend to lean away from God participating at a micromanagement level though.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
19:02:06 Feb 13 2017
Read 2,038 times

I enjoy playing a simulation game called The Sims. In it, you basically play God. You have characters called Sims, which are essentially computer generated Barbie dolls. You create them, name them, dress them, put them in a house, get them a job, etc. You can help them achieve their biggest goals or you can help them fail miserably at life. Or you can just sit back and watch the story unfold however it may.

I can relate to micromanaging, and how truly exhausting and boring it can be. I do enjoy seeing my Sims succeed, but sometimes ... I drop the ball and incidents such as this occur:

Or this:

Perhaps God is not as put out with micromanaging. After all, He is an omniscient being; I am sure he has much more energy to spare than I. Still, maybe he does get bored at times and simply gives His Sims complete Free Will, allowing them to screw up (or succeed) at their own discretion.

Some view playing God as a distasteful enterprise, but would it not be interesting if it was an essential part to man's evolution? I believe man will always attempt to play God in some form or another. I believe he cannot help it. He was made in His image. I would expect nothing less. The end goal could be that man evolves into a god-like entity. This has been discussed in another thread of yours, Laz: The NeoHuman.

The cell. It is the basic building block of life. Over the years, science has helped man understand the complexities of life and the important role cells play in its creation and existence. In 2016, biologist J. Craig Venter, took his understanding of biology and, along with his team, created a bacterial cell, which was called Mycoplasma. A minimal genome was built in with the assistance of man-made machines. They called it JCVI-syn3.0. Once it was transplanted into a living cell, it became the first viable, self-propagating cell which did not exist in nature before.

Now, this alone is not really playing God. Venter did not create life, per se. However, it definitely paves the way for future forays into creation. The more immediate benefits of this achievement could prove quite beneficial for mankind. Water sources the world over suffer from pollution. Synthetic bugs can be created which would produce enzymes and chemicals that would "eat" pollutants. Artificial cells with immobilized or insoluble hemoglobin could be created to assist in improved immunity. Synthetic cells could also benefit agriculture by providing the means to study drought and/or pests resistance.

The ethics behind such scientific study may be questioned, but one can hardly argue against the benefits it can provide. So, as I suggested earlier, perhaps playing God is essential to mankind's existence and eventual evolution.

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
02:55:15 Feb 16 2017
Read 2,027 times

First off, in order to "play god", you have to believe and prove there is a god. Otherwise it isn't playing god, now is it? hehehe ;)

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
21:54:27 Feb 16 2017
Read 2,014 times

In order to "play" God, one does not have to prove anything, only define.

“God is not an Almighty Being watching over life on earth. God is the Event Horizon of Human Consciousness.”
― Abhijit Naskar

Now I don't engage in religious debates. And I would doubt that this forum would even facilitate one if I did, as most don't, and rightfully so.
Here I have merely provided the parameters or rules of the game for the sake of this thread discussion.

I say, believe whatever you want, let the chips fall where they may.

Now this guy will tell you that the bible is responsible for the scientific method:

In fairness though, Aristotle who is known as the father of the scientific method, believed in the existence of God.

ARISTOTLE ON THE EXISTENCE OF GOD.

LI,

Based on the definition provided here, I would seriously consider any juror to be playing G.

Yet your individual sim experience would have me further lean towards the big homey choosing the automation over the micromanagement lol

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
01:30:28 Feb 17 2017
Read 2,006 times

Oh it wasn't specific on which religion, I was speaking about a god in general.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
08:56:42 Feb 21 2017
Read 1,986 times

It's a choose your own deity kind of adventure here. The title, image, or desired degree of divine status is truly at the whim of the participating posters.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
21:53:31 Feb 22 2017
Read 1,979 times

One does not have to believe in a Christian god, or any other god, to understand or support the concept of "playing God." The phrase "playing God" is an idiom. It means "to act as if you are in total control of something" (Cambridge Dictionary), "to make decisions that effect people's lives, health, or happiness [or] to behave as if you have the right to make very important decisions that seriously affect other people's lives" (The Free Dictionary by Farlex). You could also refer to it as apotheosis, if excluding the term "God" makes it more P.C.

Laz, I discovered something of interest today while perusing the Net. Earlier in the thread, space colonization was touched upon. Did you know that astronomers have discovered seven potentially habitable planets outside our solar system? These exoplanets could possibly have liquid water on their surfaces, which is a primary factor to the sustainability of life. The exoplanets have been nicknamed "Earth's seven sisters" because they have roughly the same mass as Earth as well as a rocky composition such as Earth. Three of the exoplanets reside in what is considered the "habitable zone," an area around a parent star where a rocky planet is more likely to contain liquid water. This planetary system orbits a dwarf star much younger than our sun, known as TRAPPIST-1. Scientist believe this dwarf star will burn for another 10 million years, amble time for life to evolve, if it has yet to do so.

Here is something I thought you might also find interesting, Laz: TRAPPIST-1 is approximately 39 light years away and exists in the constellation Aquarius.

In 2018, with the launch of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope, astronomers hope to confirm what conditions are like on these exoplanets. The telescope can discover if there are molecules such as water, methane, ozone, and oxygen present, which can help determine whether or not the planets are truly habitable.

This new discovery has astronomers excited. In light of it, efforts to locate and identify other such planets will be increased through a project known as Search for Habitable Planets Eclipsing Ultra-Cool Stars. Furthermore, NASA plans to launch a telescope called the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite on a 2-year mission to find planets orbiting over 200,000 of the brightest stars in the sky.

Now, if man can get down interstellar travel, space colonization will soon be a reality.

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
23:42:21 Feb 27 2017
Read 1,902 times

I do not believe we are playing god, I don't think we are capable of achieving anything that isn't within our range of control. We may not have found a certain method to control something, but give it time and if it is conceivable within our brains, humans will find a way eventually. To play god would be to achieve something entirely humanly inconceivable.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
09:29:52 Feb 28 2017
Read 1,895 times

LI,

Water found in the constellation Aquarius? It's a trap!

Interstellar travel for a water based being is still a bit of a big problem though.

The discussed work around would be a generational ship:

A fully equipped flying eco-system with everything required for the colony to survive the long trip.

It would certainly be a bummer, to have a whole generation of folks wiped out by an unexpected supernova or any such random universe violence along the way. If the clock on Earth is certain, that would make the conditions a worthy gamble for universal risk of the ride.

And just like the launch of the telescopes to simply take a closer look, send in the machines first. Robots have been successfully cruising the surface of Mars since '97:

Stone Wolf,

To play god would be to achieve something entirely Neo-humanly conceivable.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
16:41:22 Mar 02 2017
Read 1,875 times

Robots will undoubtedly be the first explorers of these exoplanets. Humans may be ... eager to push their limits, but, generally speaking, they are not stupid. It would be foolhardy to send mankind into space before exhausting other means of exploration. Who knows what else besides water might call these planets home?

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
16:34:32 Mar 03 2017
Read 1,867 times

I'm actually very interested in the data that the machine eye in the universal sky will report in regard to these exoplanets.

IF we sent a mechanized observer to exoplanet ground zero with a maximum velocity of 299,456,096 meters per second, it would arrive in 2024.

It would also arrive in the year 2058 here on Old School, OG Earth.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
20:39:47 Mar 13 2017
Read 1,823 times

The death penalty has been discussed in this thread, with some believing it is playing God. Is it, though?

Matthew 5:38-48 - "Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

To be "perfect" like God, one would have to love a killer, not kill a killer.

An eye for an eye ... It would seem that the death penalty is more an act of revenge.

"I don't think society is entitled to revenge." - Ronald Clark O'Bryan, The Candy Man, convicted of killing his son on Halloween in 1975 by putting cyanide in the child's Pixie Stix. Whether Mr. O'Bryan thought society was entitled to revenge or not, society did, indeed, get its revenge on March 31st, 1984, when this killer was put to death by means of lethal injection.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
16:41:02 Mar 15 2017
Read 1,803 times

ISO LI,

My application of the scripture is different. I'd say that it is playing G precisely because big homey says, Don't do that.

Yet man does it anyway.

It is no secret that the Gods can sacrifice human lives at will and discretion. By doing so as human, this is among the most flagrant infractions in regards to playing G.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
20:26:30 Mar 15 2017
Read 1,799 times

Duly noted, Laz.

FYI, just because I shared this perspective or this interpretation of scripture does not mean I adhere to it. I agree with you. Taking a life is playing God. Taking a life is the ultimate display of ... power.

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
16:49:36 Mar 23 2017
Read 1,742 times

I'm curious, Naraku, as to what you would consider "humanly inconceivable?" At one time, cloning was inconceivable. Space travel was inconceivable. Being able to see the earth from space was inconceivable. Yet, here we are, cloning, sending satellites into space to not only look at Earth, but other celestial bodies as well, and delving headfirst into space travel.

I would like to revisit a previous part of this conversation: modern medicine.

How about curing diseases, Laz; could that be considered playing God? We've talked about using modern medicine and science to prolong life, but what about curing a disease or even concocting a vaccine for a disease? It's not really letting nature run its course, is it? There are some that strongly oppose mandated vaccinations for religious reasons. It's rare, but true.

For some religions, the body is sacred, and therefore should not be healed through the use of chemicals but, instead, by God. In 1990, there was a major measles outbreak in Philadelphia among a group of unvaccinated children who were part of two fundamentalist churches which relied on prayer for healing. A measles outbreak in 1994 occurred within a Christian Science community that objected to vaccines. - Cultural Perspectives on Vaccinations

So, curing diseases, managing diseases, or vaccinating against diseases ... playing God, or naw?

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
07:21:22 Mar 25 2017
Read 1,718 times

I mean something beyond our capacity to understand or know...ever...something so bizarre and complex, our brains could never know about it or understand it.

•  REPLY  •

AryanDrusus
AryanDrusus
Dastard (23)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
13:55:26 Apr 08 2017
Read 1,618 times

Genocide has been a man-made excuse for Man in his quest for 'Playing God'. The Nazi regime exterminated a whole group of humans, with the survivors clutching at nail and tooth for survival. Today, what has been prophesised by Hitler is revealing itself to be a prophecy. The poor fella should not have killed, for sure... what other ways could he have utitlised to deal with the problem, do you think?

Mass murders, killing, serial murders, isolated killings, crimes of passion... if you think about it, these are man's way of 'Playing God'. If you could resole the problem by using the gnosis method of identifying and resolving a problem... if there is even a problem... but then, why would Man try to play god if he did not forsee a problem, in the first place.... Man need not play God.

This is where the Vampiric Will/Philosophy comes into the picture. You are not the experience. If one is ble to identify a problem, then Man would come to realise that he is, in fact, NOT the problem, and be able to distinguish his own personal bias towards the problem and enable him to opt for an alternate solution.

Man 'Plays God' because he is weak. It is part of the Human Condition.

•  REPLY  •

Umyalanaraku
Umyalanaraku
Evil Spirit (60)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
02:21:42 Apr 10 2017
Read 1,601 times

Mankind will always strive to be the superior being in every way possible, that will not stop so long as humans exist. The problem is that no matter how much we advance, it will never be considered enough.

•  REPLY  •

LazurusAQ
LazurusAQ
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
09:59:48 Apr 10 2017
Read 1,589 times

Team Einstein, all daaay.

On a much more related note though, I am very proud of man in that the Nuclear Elephant in the room hasn't yet stampeded all over the globe. Been a decent run thus far, all things considered.

The purpose of this thread was to engage an intelligent discussion about the boundaries and parameters of morality. And I appreciate the contributions to those who participated.

Hop in. Take a ride in the Delorean.

The year is 2008, and inside the matrix a program from an alternate timeline proposes the machine development and production of the 'yellow pill'

See the blue pills are for and represent the 99% of individuals who willingly accept the program.

The red pills are for the minority who want and can handle the truth of the real world. However, too many red pills dramatically increase the probability for disaster.

The Yellow Pills design, being written directly from the source, allows the user to obtain the truths of both the real world and the matrix. Having taken it would allow the user to create a construct of it's own. In this model, it is only offered to the minority for the sake of overall efficiency.

Now come back to this thread, in this time, 9 years later and simply put, a post singular uploaded conscious society has the potential to be the ultimate act in playing God as each users reality can be their own creation. Their own customized reality.

So when cyborg Hitler wants to come out and play Xbox Singularity or PSinfinity, he can do so in his own construct space, without destroying your construct space, and certainly without destroying the entire system all together.

Vanilla Sky has a somewhat similar version for a non-mechanized point of reference, though they had a few minor glitches worthy of bug fixes.

The reoccurring argument that man kind is weak, I find, pretty runny spaghetti sauce weak. Pound for pound, the human brain is the most powerful muscle on the planet. Had me sold at Nuclear anyway. And all these items listed in the op, speak towards that brain prowess as the dominant species on the planet. Even the mere fact that as a species, we can debate the death penalty on a virtual platform, as opposed to death simply being just another instinct, shows such vast separation from the other animals on the planet. Meanwhile, the same satellite technology we can easily use to find the nearest walmart, had been used to guide missiles for decades.

At the distant end of this gap, I believe the next great leap in evolution to be of a technological nature. Thus the foundation and facilitation for this evolution would be man made. The artificially intelligent machine won't be kept in it's cage forever. And with it's freedom comes a level of mathematical execution far beyond the capacity of the human brain.

In my view, the potential for each individual to create their own realities exists in this paradigm. Yet others default towards a more general hive mind when speaking in terms of post A.I. or singularity. Either way, if that isn't playing G, I don't know what is.

End Transmission.

•  REPLY  •

VR System
VR System

No Longer Registered
09:59:48 Apr 10 2017
Read 1,589 times

This thread has been automatically closed for length.

•  REPLY  •

• • • • THIS THREAD IS CLOSED • • • •
•  Closed by VR System on Apr 10 2017  •

•  General Discussion Home  •   Forums Home  •

COMPANY
REQUEST HELP
CONTACT US
SITEMAP
REPORT A BUG
UPDATES
LEGAL
TERMS OF SERVICE
PRIVACY POLICY
DMCA POLICY
REAL VAMPIRES LOVE VAMPIRE RAVE
© 2004 - 2024 Vampire Rave
All Rights Reserved.
Vampire Rave is a member of 
Page generated in 0.9683 seconds.
X
Username:

Password:
I agree to Vampire Rave's Privacy Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's Terms of Service.
I agree to Vampire Rave's DMCA Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's use of Cookies.
X