Well, we could have easily died last night.
I woke up around 230 am, along with my daughter, because we were smelling something strong in the bedroom. She kept saying "Mommy it stinks". So I get up. Mind you the bedrooms in the house we are staying at are on the far end of the house on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen. So I walk towards the kitchen and the smell is getting stronger and I recognize it. Gas.
So I immediately start running to the kitchen and checking appliances. Sure enough one of the front burners are on with no flame on the stove. I immediately start opening doors and windows and then run to the room my son and his cousin (who happened to spend the night with us) were in.
I asked them who was playing with the stove? My nephew said "I Touched it". I asked him why and he said he was going to make something and then decided not to. I asked them both "did neither of you smell that?" And Em responded with "no I can't smell anything because my nose is clogged" and my nephew says "yeah, why?" And I told him "you left the gas on! Anything could have sparked and it would have killed us all!" And his response was 'oh well. I didn't know not turning off the stove would be an issue."
My husband is on his way to see his father and have a talk with the boy's father (his brother). I've been up and down all night out of fear of a house fire (as this triggered every fucking PTSD memory from the house fire I almost used in as a kid) and even my husband is livid. He is old enough to know better. There was no reason this should have occurred.
I pray no one ever has to deal with what a house fire can do to you. My mind has been flashing between the house fire we had when I was a child to the smell of gas lingering most of the night and me having to hold vigil because I refused to wake my husband (who's been sleeping poorly due to the fact we are here to bury his step mom) and he just woke up a bit ago and I informed him.
This was not how I wanted Monday to start. 🙄
Oh crap! glad the little one woke you up she's got a good nose on her. Yes if you are old enough to use the stove you should not only know the rules but be extra careful when you are not in your own home. God bless you hope you can relax tonight.
That is really scary, but I am very glad you all are ok.
Wow. Super glad you and your daughter woke up. Stop doing, getting into shit that can kill ya, will ya?
I'm sorry I"m glad your okay!
|World Visitor Map|