Nasdasdy
Pain Giver (55)
Honor: 0
[ Give / Take ]
Member of The Coven of Purgatory
Vampire Rave member for 16 years.
10:25:05 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,502 times

Does ANYONE know about absinthe? What is a good bottle to buy? I heard some brands are still illegal in the states. Is this true? I've heard the ban was lifted. I've heard the ban was partially lifted. What is the strongest bottle to buy? Will I infact see green fairies???? :) What is the "D-Lee-O"(i.e., deal)?

•  REPLY  •

MamaC
MamaC
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]
Limbus Patrum (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Limbus Patrum (Coven)
11:41:33 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,498 times

Yes, I am quite curious on this topic also. I wish to bring some home with me although I have never tried it before. I thought it was illegal. I know they definitely do not sell it in stores at least here it NY but they may serve it at some places, legally or illegally I am unsure. I know many people have been buying it on the islands and bringing it home for years. Is it wise to declare exactly what the bottle is we're bringing back? Or should we just say "liquor" when we do our customs thing on the way home?

•  REPLY  •

tboro31
tboro31
Quadruped (33)
[ Give / Take ]

15:40:17 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,485 times

I bought a bottle of Absinthe in Albany, NY a few months ago. It tastes like licorice, similar to anisette. It didn't do anything special for me. I heard that Absinthe used to have opium or some other drug in it, and that's why it was banned in the US. I would definitely suggest trying it in the islands by brand before buying alot. I was disappointed.

Hopefully the ones we'll envounter on our cruise will be the "good" kind!

•  REPLY  •

HexAngel
HexAngel
Vexer (13)
[ Give / Take ]
15:51:02 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,481 times

I'm curious about this as well as I plan on bringing back a couple bottles. I had it before and LOVED it. Not sure if the ban was partial lifted or fully lifted. Would be good to know.

•  REPLY  •

Deatha
Deatha
Vampling (25)
[ Give / Take ]

Vampire Rave member for 17 years.
17:02:41 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,476 times

I did some research on line a while ago. Of all the stuff I've read this pretty much sums it up. Absinthe is legal in the US now. I did read somewhere that it is legal to sell, but not legal to make in the US because of the way it is distilled. But, this all came from the web so take it with a grain of skeptisism.

http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2007/12/21/absinthe/

•  REPLY  •

MamaC
MamaC
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

17:13:05 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,473 times

Word. Here's what wikipedia has to say:

USA

In 2007, two brands of absinthe (Lucid and Kübler) began to be sold in the United States. In December, 2007, St. George Absinthe Verte, produced by St. George Spirits of Alameda, California, became the first brand of American-made absinthe to be legally produced in the United States since the enactment of the ban.[40][41] In 2008 the first Bohemian Absinthe became available in the United States as Mata Hari absinthe.[42]

I'd say that means we can bring it back right?

•  REPLY  •

MamaC
MamaC
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

17:16:23 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,471 times

oooh or maybe not?

http://www.greendevil.com/absinthe_us.html

but people do this all the time...

hmmm...someone clarify plz lol...

•  REPLY  •

MamaC
MamaC
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

17:23:56 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,468 times

ok, str8 from the homeland security site, seems complicated!:

Absinthe (Alcohol)
CBP's responsibility to control the importation of distilled spirits, including absinthe, is subject to regulations of the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) (See 19 CFR Part 11.7). TTB permits, subject to certain content and labeling (Certificate of Label Approval (COLA)) restrictions, the importation of distilled spirits being marketed as "absinthe."

Commercial importations - Certain importations of distilled spirits called “absinthe” containing a minimal amount of the ingredient thujone (the thujone level must be less than 10 parts per million) may be permitted, if the brands have been tested according to FDA standards and their labels approved by TTB. Commercial importers must produce both an Importer’s Basic Permit and a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) issued by TTB demonstrating label and thujone content approval. Any commercial importations of distilled spirits declared or believed to be absinthe which do not have a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) approved by TTB cannot be imported, unless the entry is submission of a sample (presented with an Importer’s Basic Permit) to the Beverage Alcohol Laboratory for testing and approval purposes. ( Department of the Treasury )

Returning Passengers should be aware that, in addition to compliance with the general rules governing importations of alcohol for personal use, passengers must comply with the following requirements for importing distilled spirits labeled as absinthe for personal use:

1. Only the brands of absinthe that have received TTB approval will be permitted entry. Absinthe imported for personal use that bears an unapproved label will be denied entry.
2. Travelers planning in advance to return with absinthe for personal use should consult TTB in order to determine which brands of absinthe have been tested and approved for importation.
3. Questions regarding brands of absinthe approved for importation and the labeling and thujone limit requirements should be addressed to TTB at (202) 927-5000 or ttbquestions@ttb.treas.gov. Please note that TTB does not maintain a “list” of approved absinthe labels; rather, the public can search the publicly available COLA registry. ( Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau )

For basic requirements regarding the importation of alcoholic beverages, see generally the Informed Compliance Publication titled "Classification and Entry Requirements of Alcoholic Beverages and Spirits." ( Classification and Entry

•  REPLY  •

tboro31
tboro31
Quadruped (33)
[ Give / Take ]

17:25:29 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,467 times

"[] A faux-Absinthe liqueur called Absente, made with Artemisia abrotanum instead of Artemisia absinthium (wormwood), is sold legally in the United States however, the FDA prohibition extends to all Artemisia species, including even, in theory, Artemisia dracunculus, known as tarragon. "

From the article you posted, I think I have a bottle of this Absente brand, I 'll have to check later at home.

Looks like the real thing might get seized at customs if they look through your stuff... I say enjoy some while you are on the islands, and see if you even like it, if you don't, then you don't have to worry about pesky customs and lugging it home!

•  REPLY  •

MamaC
MamaC
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

17:28:31 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,465 times

true! sounds good. but if i do like it, sounds like Z and other ppl ritually bring it back w/ no probs so i'm curious as how i would go about that. looks like we'll just hafta read the fine print.

•  REPLY  •

Deatha
Deatha
Vampling (25)
[ Give / Take ]

18:15:13 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,460 times

Straight from the government. I think this means if it contains 10% or less thujone we can bring it back with us.

http://www.ttb.gov/industry_circulars/archives/2007/2007_05.html

•  REPLY  •

DJEvelfaery
DJEvelfaery
Antagonist (37)
[ Give / Take ]

21:20:29 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,452 times

Lucid and Kübler are also availble in the States...no need to buy it in St. Marteen...I will have my homemade Absinthe at the hotel if anyone is curious or has ???...been making it for around 5 years now.

•  REPLY  •

xhearteaterx
xhearteaterx
Harasser (15)
[ Give / Take ]
21:38:57 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,448 times

ahh homemade absinthe.. i've got some of that at home too.. wouldn't recommend drinking it though. it was a first time attempt and i haven't quite gotten around to a second lol.

•  REPLY  •

Doublefisted
Doublefisted
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

21:59:56 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,444 times

Might buy some just to have it .... I think the "Trippy" effects are just an effect from drinkin to Goddamn much alcohol. I Prefer 151 over it anyday but it will make a fine addition to the evergrowing bar. All in all licorice flavored foul tasting shit that gets ya hammered. Sambuka on crack.

•  REPLY  •

azzlynn
azzlynn
Grave Robber (22)
[ Give / Take ]

23:28:21 Oct 08 2008
Read 1,440 times

Brent and I distill our own and have come up with a very good recipe. You need lots of wormwood to have the "effect". Most of the stuff sold legally has very little wormwood in it so it's more like a liquor.

•  REPLY  •

xhearteaterx
xhearteaterx
Harasser (15)
[ Give / Take ]
00:11:52 Oct 09 2008
Read 1,435 times

exactly. its the wormwood that has the hallucinagenic properties :)

•  REPLY  •

Doublefisted
Doublefisted
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

02:52:48 Oct 09 2008
Read 1,427 times

I gotta try some of that stuff then!!

•  REPLY  •

MamaC
MamaC
Monstrosity (34)
[ Give / Take ]

04:14:19 Oct 09 2008
Read 1,421 times

Yeah, we prob have to drink the good stuff there or on the last night.

•  REPLY  •

skully418
skully418
Specter (43)
[ Give / Take ]

05:55:13 Oct 09 2008
Read 1,417 times

I've had several flavors, including homemade.

As far as what to get, most of what I've had here is the lame us stuff. sure, it has anise and wormwood, but its modified.

The one thing I'd be wary of is that it's potent stuff! The stuff I usually get is 40% booze, ouch!

I am however looking forward to us venturing forth and getting some!

We'll speak more at dinner about it.

•  REPLY  •

POST RESPONSE

•   QUOTE  •   QUOTE HELP  •  

POST PREVIEW

•  CLOSE PREVIEW  •  
Post preview does not reflect tags that may be stripped out after you post. What HTML tags you can use depends on your membership type. More information.

•  2008 Gothic Cruise Home  •   Forums Home  •

COMPANY
REQUEST HELP
CONTACT US
SITEMAP
REPORT A BUG
UPDATES
LEGAL
TERMS OF SERVICE
PRIVACY POLICY
DMCA POLICY
REAL VAMPIRES LOVE VAMPIRE RAVE
© 2004 - 2024 Vampire Rave
All Rights Reserved.
Vampire Rave is a member of 
Page generated in 0.2164 seconds.
X
Username:

Password:
I agree to Vampire Rave's Privacy Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's Terms of Service.
I agree to Vampire Rave's DMCA Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's use of Cookies.
X