First of all, you need to gather your ingredients before you begin. You don't want to be in the middle of making the salve and have to leave to find something.
A medium saucepan
A glass pyrex measuring graduate *large*
a wooden spoon
the herbs you are working with
Beeswax (for thickening)
Carrier oil (I used extra virgin Olive oil, you can also use Almond Oil, Coconut Oil etc.)
Essential oils, if needed
storage containers (Small plastic jars)
1. In the saucepan, add about 1 cup of the herb or mixture of herbs you'll be using. Pour enough carrier oil over them so that they're just covered by the oil. Turn the burner on the lowest setting and let the herbs steep in the warm oil for about 2 hours. (If you notice that the herbs are "frying" or "cooking" turn down the heat or remove the pan from the burner)
2. Next, after the herbs have infused in the oil, you'll want to strain them through cheesecloth to be sure you get all the little particles out of the oil. Strain the oil into your glass pyrex graduate. Set aside. Clean your first saucepan, or use another one and fill it 1/3 full of water. Set on burner at med. to med. high heat. Set the oil-filled graduate down in the water and allow to heat for a couple minutes.
3. At this point, you may add the beeswax for thickening. I usually add about a cup to a 1 1/2 cups. It works better and melts faster if it's shredded beeswax, or pellets. Stir with the wooden spoon. Once the wax has melted, take your spoon and let a drop or two of the mixture drip on a plate. Test the consistency to see if it's thick/thin enough. If too thin, add more wax, too thick, add more olive oil.
4. After reaching desired consistency, remove from heat and add any essential oils you want to use and stir in quickly as the mixture will start to harden.
5. Quickly and carefully, pour into containers. Let set until salve sets up then cap, and store in a cool dark place. Be sure to label them!
Now, here are a couple salve recipes:
(Eases skin discomfort due to rashes, chaffing, insect bites and skin disorders)
Calendula Infused Olive Oil (follow method for infusing herbs and oil)
Tea Tree Essential Oil (approx. 2 droppers full)
Follow above method for preparing the salve!
(Excellent ointment for diaper rash and sunburn!)
Lavender Flowers (Infuse these in Olive oil)
Lavender Essential Oil (Approx. 20 drops)
Follow above procedure to make salve!
Comfrey and Goldenseal Salve:
(Ultra healing salve for cuts, scrapes, bruises, and other injuries.)
Comfrey and Goldenseal Infused Olive Oil
Lemongrass Essential Oil (approx. 20 drops)
Follow instructions for making salve!
Hope you enjoy these recipes! They really work!!!
|World Visitor Map|