Dakotah
Premiere Sire (120)
Honor: 0
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 10 years.
19:38:17 Jan 31 2019
Read 1,097 times

Do We Live in A Matrix?

I think most of us have watched the sci-fi films The Matrix. For a recap of those who did not see the movie, Neo, is stunned to see people defying the laws of physics, running up walls and vanishing suddenly. These superhuman violations of the rules of the universe are possible because, unbeknownst to him, Neo’s consciousness is embedded in the Matrix, a virtual-reality simulation created by sentient machines.

The action really begins when Neo is given a fateful choice: Take the blue pill and return to his oblivious, virtual existence, or take the red pill to learn the truth about the Matrix and find out “how deep the rabbit hole goes.”

Physicists can now offer us the same choice, the ability to test whether we live in our own virtual Matrix, by studying radiation from space. As fanciful as it sounds, some philosophers have long argued that we’re actually more likely to be artificial intelligence trapped in a fake universe than we are organic minds in the “real” one.

But if that were true, the very laws of physics that allow us to devise such reality-checking technology may have little to do with the fundamental rules that govern the meta-universe inhabited by our simulators. To us, these programmers would be gods, able to twist reality on a whim.
This is not really news to a lot of people, but it IS news to people who desire experimental verification. The ol' double-slit experiment strikes again this in instance with an interesting twist. Note: the idea of this type experiment has been around for a long time, but obviously getting it done with repute and procedural 'perfection' is another matter.

This is another boon to simulations theory (assuming its verified), which more and more heavyweights are now ascribing to. Also so to closed time loop theories that cite Information as the real key to mastering space-time, with consciousness perhaps being the material catalyst in that action can come from reaction e.g. registered phenomena gain meaning when consciously given a relationship with other registered phenomena.

For instance, say we combined this experiment with Mallet's closed-time loop laser experiments. We turn the machine on, intend to leave it on indefinitely, and are immediately flooded with info. From the future and the past. Whether or not those space-times have collapsed on themselves is irrelevant as there's an informational relationship outside of normal space-time regardless. The key is sending/recv bits instead of matter-energy. We can then consciously gain "it from bit" as Wheeler dictates, within our reference frame.

Quote:

With our ideal realization of the delayed-choice entanglement swapping gedanken experiment, we have demonstrated a generalization of Wheeler’s “delayed-choice” tests, going from the wave-particle duality of a single particle to the entanglement-separability duality of two particles39. Whether these two particles are entangled or separable has been decided after they have been measured. If one views the quantum state as a real physical object, one could get the seemingly paradoxical situation that future actions appear as having an influence on past and already irrevocably recorded events. However, there is never a paradox if the quantum state is viewed as to be no more than a “catalog of our knowledge”2. Then the state is a probability list for all possible measurement outcomes, the relative temporal order of the three observer’s events is irrelevant and no physical interactions whatsoever between these events, especially into the past, are necessary to explain the delayed-choice entanglement swapping. What, however, is important is to relate the lists of Alice, Bob and Victor’s measurement results. On the basis of Victor’s measurement settings and results, Alice and Bob can group their earlier and locally totally random results into subsets which each have a different meaning and interpretation. This formation of subsets is independent of the temporal order of the measurements. According to Wheeler, Bohr said: “No elementary phenomenon is a phenomenon until it is a registered phenomenon.”5, 7 We would like to extend this by saying: “Some registered phenomena do not have a meaning unless they are put in relationship with other registered phenomena.”

Somewhere in there is "God's Thumbprint", the answer to "Life, the Universe, and Everything." And I'm really afraid that answer is "Divide by zero error."
It just as capably demonstrates the opposite: The future is singular, as Gödel theorized, so Victor's choice wasn't a choice at all. It was the only thing that was actually going to happen, so Alice and Bob's results remain consistent with his own. Alternately, Bohr was right and our understanding of what's actually happening is and will always remain incomplete. With their last paragraph, the paper's authors seem to side with the latter.

Either way, or bizarre as it seems, there's nothing new here. This particular quirk of the Standard Model has been known for a century. Experimental proof just makes it more awkward.

As I understand it, this was always Einsteins problem with quantum theory and the source of his quote, "God does not play dice with the universe."

You see this sort of thing throughout history, retrograde motions of the stars and etc... that eventually go away once a better model is found. Unfortunately, in this case quantum theory works so well in so many cases that it's really hard to see where it could be wrong.

So let’s go with this. Is reality real? Is our world a simulation? So should we say yes to the offer to take the red pill and learn the truth — or are the implications too disturbing? Could the answer to life be in there? Could the Matrix be a real thing?

The paper:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.4834.pdf

•  REPLY  •

19:48:29 Jan 31 2019
Read 1,094 times

Great Topic. From what I gather the logic of the scientists who theorize that we are in a simulation is that we know that soon we will be able to completely simulate our own reality 100%. If this is possible then it has always been possible and thus we stand to look at the odds of us "luckily" being the first beings that can create perfect simulations. It is scientifically and mathematically unlikely that we are the first. There is one flaw however that I have yet to understand and that is if Neo was not intended to be able to use special abilities how does the program allow it? Like wise if this is a simulation that we are in and the laws are in place I do not see how we could break them.

•  REPLY  •

LORDMOGY
LORDMOGY
Venerable Sire (138)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 12 years.
19:53:53 Jan 31 2019
Read 1,086 times

I have an entire post about my thoughts on this so I'll keep it short.

Yes!

Maybe not like in the motion picture, but a system of Societal Programming that goes on daily is what the Matrix is to me.

•  REPLY  •

Dakotah
Dakotah
Premiere Sire (120)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 10 years.
19:55:51 Jan 31 2019
Read 1,085 times

It's too bad we won't be around in a hundred years to laugh at the primitive science because nobody has discovered the proper methods and tools for measuring quantum phenomena. We're looking for dice and god is an mmo dev. Quantum patch 1.2! Though character wipes kinda suck.

Let me take this further...

Toon A and Toon B are sitting in Azeroth about to engage in a duel. They both communicate with the server at a given clockspeed.
Toon B though has a tablet that gives him direct realtime access to the root code of the server. He cant make sense of the code and it changes as soon as he does anything (including think, intend, etc.), but he can program the tablet to pick shards on the server and subsets of code that are contextually relevant to what he and Toon A are doing. Using this, the tablet can then inform Toon B what Toon A is about to do outside of ping.

If Toon B wanted more advance notice, all he'd have to do is institute a longer clockspeed (lag); perhaps by increasing their speed (putting stress on the system). He'd still technically be on equal footing with Toon A and neither would notice any difference, but his tablet would have the even greater advantage since its got realtime access to the root. Toon B uses the advantage, making it look like he's seeing into the future when in fact all he's doing is recognizing a lagfree present.

•  REPLY  •

Margulis626
Margulis626
Shadow (10)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 5 years.
02:46:57 Feb 01 2019
Read 1,065 times

It is more like math tells us that a speed grater than speed of light should not exist in reality because it causes a lot of problems to known physics, but information can travel faster than that light which is proven by quantum physics. Which is kind of a hint that our entire world is stored on a server which does not care about speed( and distance) at all. And there are plenty small hints like that, even the very fact that math is behind every corner is one of them.

•  REPLY  •

thecrucible
thecrucible
Termagant (58)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 5 years.
07:01:43 Feb 01 2019
Read 1,058 times

I do not beleive there is any truth to the movie, what a matrix is, and the movie, only have so much in common. If you have experienced something which is real and like a matrix, that would be a completely different story... From the logical thinking of my mind, I would say that people have witnessed to a vast array of what is considered to be advanced in comparison to the average, thus, anything is possible.

The definition of the word matrix is vague:

“an environment or material in which something develops; a surrounding medium or structure.
‘free choices become the matrix of human life’”

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/matrix

What have you experienced?

•  REPLY  •

vHellsGuardianv
vHellsGuardianv
Royal Sire (205)
Honor: 173
[ Give / Take ]
The House of Nocturnal Retribution is a member of an Alliance

Member of The House of Nocturnal Retribution
Vampire Rave member for 15 years.
21:10:05 Apr 11 2019
Read 1,011 times

Technology is so advanced that the sky is the limit.

Think of it this way. We have virtual reality. VR if and when done properly cannot be easily discernible from the world we actually live in. Add in a lack of ability to control your body while in it, and it's something similar to the Matrix construct.

Even anime has explored this concept- think of the uber-popular Sword Art Online- using "full dive VR" as part of the concept.

•  REPLY  •

EstrangedOne
EstrangedOne
High Sire (154)
Honor: 175
[ Give / Take ]
The House of Madadh-Alluidh is a member of an Alliance

Member of The House of Madadh-Alluidh
Vampire Rave member for 11 years.
18:01:30 Aug 09 2021
Read 612 times

Funny enough, on this one, I strongly have to agree with Mogy.
Though it's not in the concept of the films, mankind does live in a "Matrix" of sorts. And not many people have the strength to survive without it, anymore.
And actually, I studied the "phenomenon" for quite a few years, almost nonstop, just so I could see the many different "takes" on it. Personally, I found it quite entertaining to think about.

•  REPLY  •

LucienRising
LucienRising
Exasperater (20)
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Elizabeth Batory is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Elizabeth Batory
Vampire Rave member for 2 years.
06:04:52 Nov 05 2021
Read 564 times

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the whole simulation theory, but at the end of the day- I think I honestly don't want to know right now. I feel like things are hard enough without worrying about whether I'm just a Sim suffering for someone's amusement.
I really hope they're having a good laugh... it would make one of us. :/

•  REPLY  •

Aeznara
Aeznara
Irritater (16)
[ Give / Take ]
09:39:56 Jul 02 2023
Read 124 times

The main simulation I believe in is the soup of our own concepts, ideas and programming that we swim in. It can be hard to see past, but it is possible to find a way to see wider truths.

•  REPLY  •

vormel
vormel
Hellhound (70)
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Invisus Secretus is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Invisus Secretus
Vampire Rave member for 6 years.
11:17:48 Aug 29 2023
Read 79 times

The Matrix theory is as old as Plato since it coincides with the Myth of the Cave contained in Book VII of "The Republic" (380 BC).

I cannot affirm that Matrix is real, but what I can say is that most people live deceived by the different attachments to matter forgetting the essence of living.

In this sense, choosing between taking a red pill or a blue pill is within everyone's reach: it is nothing more than choosing to live freely.... free from prejudices, free from economic paradigms, free from fashions and ways of dressing, eating, traveling or collecting.

There is one thing about the Matrix movie that I don't like: it is based on a deterministic concept of the human being (And, in this sense, the role of the Oracle makes everything clear). Personally, I want to believe that the Law of Free Will exists and that we are ultimately responsible for our decisions.

•  REPLY  •

POST RESPONSE

•   QUOTE  •   QUOTE HELP  •  

POST PREVIEW

•  CLOSE PREVIEW  •  
Post preview does not reflect tags that may be stripped out after you post. What HTML tags you can use depends on your membership type. More information.

•  General Discussion Home  •   Forums Home  •

COMPANY
REQUEST HELP
CONTACT US
SITEMAP
REPORT A BUG
UPDATES
LEGAL
TERMS OF SERVICE
PRIVACY POLICY
DMCA POLICY
REAL VAMPIRES LOVE VAMPIRE RAVE
© 2004 - 2024 Vampire Rave
All Rights Reserved.
Vampire Rave is a member of 
Page generated in 0.1472 seconds.
X
Username:

Password:
I agree to Vampire Rave's Privacy Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's Terms of Service.
I agree to Vampire Rave's DMCA Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's use of Cookies.
X