TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
Honor: 0
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 14 years.
14:15:45 Jan 19 2015
Read 2,595 times

How many times have you heard someone say, "Don't take my picture, photos steal your soul!"?
Do you believe in this? With advanced technology, anyone can easily take your picture.
Also- do other forms of this "soul taking" exist? Ex- TV, home videos, paintings, sketches, etc?

Or do you think its all a ruse not to take their picture because they believe they aren't photogenic?

•  REPLY  •

Zom
Zom

No Longer Registered
14:35:23 Jan 19 2015
Read 2,588 times

I don't believe having one's photo taken steals the soul. But, I don't like having my photo taken by anyone but myself. It's just a personal preference.

I have been known to ruin the photo opportunities of others by giving the finger at the point of flash. Strangely, those photos tend to be ones that I like. LOL!

•  REPLY  •

Dubs
Dubs
Disciple (53)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 9 years.
01:10:30 Jan 20 2015
Read 2,553 times

There are many cultures that are of the belief that having your photograph taken can steal or damage your soul. Some Native American and South American tribes, voodoo practitioners, and the remnants of the Mayans share this view.

It is something I say to avoid having my photo taken. I have a very sharp, narrow, angler face and pictures never do me justice. The minute a camera is in front of me my facial expressions become forced and unnatural. I have issues with light. Even without a flash , in most pictures my eyes are shut. Something about the dimensions me lose a certain quality of what I actually look like.

I look best in photos where some one surprised me and catches me at a natural moment.

•  REPLY  •

Oceanne
Oceanne
Noble Sire (160)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 16 years.
14:32:01 Jan 20 2015
Read 2,539 times

I hate my pic being taken, but not because I believe it captures the soul. I know there are cultures who believe that it does,.

•  REPLY  •

Xzavier
Xzavier
Sire (105)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 17 years.
20:22:13 Jan 20 2015
Read 2,526 times

As I understand it, many cultures believe(d) that images had power (in a similar way that many believe words have real power, especially names), and that if you allowed others to make an image of yourself, those people then had power over you.

When it came to photography though, a lot of it boiled down to plain ignorance. Just because people were afraid of it or didn't understand how it worked, and thus melded their fear with other beliefs, doesn't mean the new belief (that photos steal their soul) was legitimate or had any reality to it.

They don't steal your soul and the idea that a picture could, to me, is beyond silly. It's even somewhat sad that people in today's world would think a picture could steal a soul, or would be worried about the possibility, because we all know how taking a picture works. ALL it's doing is making a copy of the light reflected off you. It's sort of like you looking in a mirror, except that the mirror retains the view.

•  REPLY  •

LadySilva
LadySilva
Venerable Sire (130)
Honor: 2,853
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Temples of The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Temples of The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs
23:27:10 Jan 20 2015
Read 2,517 times

i dont like others taking pic of me i like to do it myself

•  REPLY  •

TheArtistRose
TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
16:05:24 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,501 times

X, I whole heartedly agree with you. I have to say, I loved this line though. "that if you allowed others to make an image of yourself, those people then had power over you.
"

I suppose, I will research more on that subject. Not that I believe in it, but because it really interests me as an artist. Also, I love shadows and darkness as opposed to light. That's how I capture most of my subjects on paper. Using the space unseen rather than the light. I've heard criticism that it makes people seem like they were out of the depression, or that my images are made using charcoal, which isn't the case.

Again, I do think its silly. The only power people give me is the strength to perfect my skills as the years go by.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
16:36:50 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,497 times

Sure people can have power over you by a picture.. if the picture is time stamped and taken in a compromising situation of something you're not supposed to be doing. Same with video, and CCTV.. ask any Britannia citizen.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
16:46:45 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,493 times

Back during the early Photo days a person had to stand still for a good spell for a picture to be taken and often a ghostly image would be cast around the subject so in a sense it confirmed the superstition. One guy even capitalized on it and invented "photoshop" to trick people into seeing their beloved in the picture. Mary Todd-Lincoln was one such sucker.

•  REPLY  •

TheArtistRose
TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
17:13:56 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,487 times

When it comes to the law, depending on where you take the picture, YOU might be at fault for even taking it. But, I'm sure there are loop holes. For example it's illegal to take pictures in public transportation here. Everyone does it through.

I agree that people have power. There are cameras everywhere these days. However, I was thinking that it was more interesting in a mythical sense. As in a good story when it came to art.
Like, the many mythical stories people can portray with "ghosts" by using PhotoShop. :)

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
17:17:44 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,485 times

If you want a good study wiki Blackmail and were that term came from.

•  REPLY  •

TheArtistRose
TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
17:30:51 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,481 times

I'll look into it. o:
"Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

- Michelangelo
This quote always reminded me of trying to find a spirit in something inanimate.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
21:08:21 Jan 21 2015
Read 2,475 times

Animism | Define Animism at Dictionary.com
noun 1. the belief that natural objects, natural phenomena, and the universe itself possess souls.

weather or not it has a soul.. the universe is in fact indifferently and pitilessly trying to kill us.. it is entropy. Just ask Astrologist Neil DeGrass Tyson.

•  REPLY  •

TigerMoon
TigerMoon
Venerable Sire (137)
[ Give / Take ]
Sanguis Dracones (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Sanguis Dracones (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 12 years.
09:41:41 Jan 25 2015
Read 2,438 times

Essentially, what a photograph does, is that, it captures the "energy" of a person/thing/scene at that moment in time. Why else do you think looking photogenic in photographs play a huge part for models? The look in your eyes, the posture of your body, specific gestures to suit a moment. I'm not trying to say that we should all behave like models, but in some cultures - not restricted to religious cultures - capturing the energy of a person opens up a portal to the other world. There are so many superstitious beliefs. Astral traveling? A picture seems to be a mode of connection. It was tried on Rave some time ago. Apart from the madness that causes fear in people, I'd say that taking photographs can be a wonderful thing. It's a way how a post-modern culture cherishes special moments. What we have as camera now, was what some pre-modern society used with mirrors.

•  REPLY  •

NightWitch
NightWitch
Wyvern (85)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
01:48:28 Jan 27 2015
Read 2,419 times

This sounds like an old episode of the Twight Zone or Something you would here about in a Stephen King novel in fact this sort of thing happened on the Lost Girl series not sure if it is possible but this sounds like a paranormal event maybe the camera is cursed like the objects in the Friday the Thirteenth the series.

•  REPLY  •

cadrewolf
cadrewolf
Premiere Sire (127)
[ Give / Take ]
09:50:54 Jan 28 2015
Read 2,400 times

I have used that statement all my life. A picture steals the soul. Is it true native Americans believed. It much like a mirror will capture a soul after death. I hate my picture taken. Much like we all do and its probably because our society has taught us by certain characteristics being the right body and face.

•  REPLY  •

TheArtistRose
TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
14:23:51 Jan 28 2015
Read 2,395 times

What exactly does it do with your soul? It's like, if its stealing it, does it collect it? Does it give the soul to a supernatural being?
I'm curious. :)

•  REPLY  •

Dakotah
Dakotah
Premiere Sire (120)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 10 years.
15:38:31 Jan 29 2015
Read 2,381 times

Yes it is true my people did not want pictures taken thus some of my great great relatives we have no pictures of them because we believed it steals a person's soul and disrespected the spiritual world. I hate getting my picture taken. I have very long hair and sometimes when I am going to a pow wow I will dress native. Many have asked if they can take a picture of me and I tell them no that I believe it will steal my soul and please respect my beliefs. LOL I always get funny looks when I say that to them and it is all I can do to keep a straight face.

Some cultures not only did, but still do. Some Mexican towns, Voodoo practitioners still share the belief that images can do harm to soul.

Mirrors also were considered a major part of the Mayan religion and culture. Mirrors opened portals into the Otherworld, allowing ancestors and gods to pass through between the two planes. They believed when praying to a saint, the soul leaves the body. To help the soul find its way back into the body, mirrors are placed in front of saint statues to reflect back the soul.

In Chiapas, Mexico, there are towns which still adhere to the old Mayan ways. In San Juan Chamula it is illegal to take photographs in church. If you are caught using a camera in church - jail time is a distinct possibility. Older generation film cameras and todays SLR and digital SLR cameras still use mirrors. The Mayan beliefs led to photography being banned inside of churches.

Most of my people (Cree) today allow their photograph to be taken, however infants are protected. It is still believed the souls of infants are fragile and are susceptible to leaving the body.

•  REPLY  •

Forbukeni
Forbukeni
Sire (100)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 15 years.
20:55:41 Feb 03 2015
Read 2,338 times

It doesn't steal the soul, it just captures the flesh.

•  REPLY  •

RemappingtheHumanSoul
RemappingtheHumanSoul
Malefactor (67)
[ Give / Take ]
Paranormal Adventures (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Paranormal Adventures (Coven)
20:09:01 Feb 06 2015
Read 2,318 times

I know when I was young I did not like my picture taken. I felt it may capture something I did not want others to see, but I was never sure why.
Today I seldom take pictures of my own self, though when I do they seem to come out distorted for some reason.
A friend took a picture of me yesterday and says to me; "Uh, come look at this." and I looked, I assumed it would be distorted as it usually is when I take it myself it was. And I simply delete it and have him take it again. I doubt he really thought much of it and its probably the simple fact my cell phone sucks in every way imaginable.
Still, I do not like my picture taken. And I am sure that a camera can pick up things that the naked eye can not see. What it is capable of picking up, I do not know.

•  REPLY  •

Oodelollie
Oodelollie
Anarchist (88)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
16:15:43 Feb 07 2015
Read 2,300 times

I don't believe impromptu pictures steal my soul- just whatever ounce of confidence and dignity I had that day. Seriously, YOU SEE IM EATING, KAREN!

•  REPLY  •

garbage
garbage
Fomenter (8)
[ Give / Take ]
02:35:36 Feb 27 2015
Read 2,245 times

I don't think it steals the soul but what I find kind of odd is when I was younger my mother would take lots of pictures of me and I'd get the red eye issue like everyone else and we'd just touch it up. Well within the past 5yrs I have not had the red eye in any picture even though everyone else in the picture does. I get a white eye and 5yrs ago I was dumb and young and in love and he wouldn't date me unless I sold my soul to the devil. I went through the whole ritual. Pictures could show if you have a soul or not but I just thought you'd find it interesting.

•  REPLY  •

elviscat
elviscat

No Longer Registered
17:23:07 Mar 01 2015
Read 2,219 times

THE AMISH BELIVE THAT,THEY LIVE BY THAT CODE.BUT YOU ARE A CHILD OF GOD,YOUR POWER WITHIN YOU IS GREAT,SO NO I CAN'T SEE HOW A CAMERA CAN DRAIN OR STEAL YOUR SOUL FROM TAKING A PICTURE.GOD WITHIN YOU WOULD NEVER ALLOW IT.IS YOUR FAITH THAT WEAK THAT YOU BELIVE THIS STUPIDITY,ITS LIKE BELIVING IF YOU WEAR A CAPE YOU CAN FLY,JUST DON'T JUMP OFF ANY BUILDING'S.OR YOU WILL LEARN THIS FACT THAT YOU CAN'T AND BY THEN IT WILL BE TO LATE.LOL.

•  REPLY  •

CEJ
CEJ
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven Of The Teutonic Order is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven Of The Teutonic Order
Vampire Rave member for 13 years.
10:50:53 Mar 04 2015
Read 2,197 times

Depends what camera equipment is used, if its the same as the one used in the Peeping Tom film, then yes along with your mortal life too haha. Kidding.

I don't think having your photograph taken steals your soul, just as I don't think having your portrait done does either. I do however believe it does capture a persons essence of that moment in which it was inspired. Of course the essence that is captured is only from the perspective of the one creating the picture/painting. Which is why I don't consider it to be the "true"essence of the persons soul that is taken. :)

•  REPLY  •

Woolfe
Woolfe
Savage (61)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
04:59:40 Mar 07 2015
Read 2,180 times

I do not believe that pictures steal or harm the soul.

•  REPLY  •

TheArtistRose
TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
14:11:45 Mar 07 2015
Read 2,175 times

Ah yes, the essence is indeed taken. :) Pictures are never picture "perfect". Especially when it comes to PhotoShop lol.

•  REPLY  •

Xzavier
Xzavier
Sire (105)
[ Give / Take ]
21:26:19 Mar 07 2015
Read 2,163 times

Photographs don't "capture" anything. The photographic material responds to the visible light being reflected off of whatever is being photographed. In the case of humans, the light being "captured" isn't originating from the person, it's being reflected off the person. So, if anything, it's "capturing" the light of the Sun or light bulb, or whatever the light source is in that specific environment.

Then the photographic material creates a kind of copy of the reflected light. Then the produced picture absorbs the surrounding light and reflects back whatever wavelengths were being reflected by the original subject of said photo.

Nothing of the subject is being captured, stored, stolen, or otherwise taken.

•  REPLY  •

TheArtistRose
TheArtistRose
Venerable Sire (133)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
15:27:09 Mar 08 2015
Read 2,152 times

I said the word capture in this sentence. "That's how I capture most of my subjects on paper." And when I said it, I didn't say "Photography" so I don't know where you're coming from if you're trying to prove something to me that I already know.
I said I like the darkness of hardly light reflecting off of people, didn't mean I disproved that light exists. In art, its called positive and negative space.
The thing about art is that, it uses science and I realize that.
If that statement wasn't directed at me, I apologize for stepping in.

Think of Rembrandt and his use of Chiaroscuro.

Although I shouldn't discriminate photography and its use of light, I was taught that the nonexistent parts can be just as important.
In this subject, I full intended to ask if people felt the same way about artwork such as sketches, drawings, paintings, etc.
And science, especially becomes a part of it when it comes to optical illusions.
To close my statement,"The term "gesture drawing" means somewhat different things to different people, but the defining characteristics are that the drawing is done quickly and that its purpose is to capture the essence of subject, rather than to present a realistic rendering of details." -Quoted from this link.
http://wikihow.com/Practice-Gesture-Drawing

"A person with normal eyesight would have nothing to know in the way of 'Impressionism' unless he were in a blinding light or in the dusk or dark."
John Singer Sargent

•  REPLY  •

Isole
Isole
Grave Robber (22)
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Temples of The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Temples of The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs
Vampire Rave member for 8 years.
20:30:10 Jun 14 2015
Read 2,055 times

I heard it many times but I do not believe it

•  REPLY  •

KITRAofOTHIS
KITRAofOTHIS

No Longer Registered
23:56:31 Jun 14 2015
Read 2,049 times

People are known to create "Old Wives' Tales".
Much like "Don't paint while you're pregnant. It will wrap the cord around the baby's neck." I've done it anyway and they came out just fine.

Not sure who came up with pictures taking parts of people's souls but I think it's just as ridiculous as other things that are told.

•  REPLY  •

Tzaddi
Tzaddi
Venerable Sire (136)
[ Give / Take ]
06:09:14 Jun 17 2015
Read 2,037 times

I'm superstitious about destroying a photograph, so I don't do it. I've known people who were really weird-ed out about having their picture taken. Mostly because of the notion that they aren't photogenic. I've never known anyone who actually thought that their soul could be stolen though a picture. That's a scary thought!

There are people who use pictures of people to perform spells. I'm thinking that can't always be good.

•  REPLY  •

ZoeyRedbird18
ZoeyRedbird18
Pain Giver (55)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
15:16:17 Jun 17 2015
Read 2,033 times

Well I'm very photogenic

I don't like taking pictures because of it.
But I'll do it and smile

Most photos I believe are memerys and they do say a thousand words

So with that said

I understand.... But then I don't

I do it to make people happy

•  REPLY  •

bloodredatrophy15
bloodredatrophy15
Changeling (71)
[ Give / Take ]
Enlightened Souls (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Enlightened Souls (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 12 years.
13:57:47 Jun 18 2015
Read 2,023 times

I don't think it takes a piece of your soul it just makes a memory

•  REPLY  •

AsphaltTears
AsphaltTears
Elemental (77)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
18:35:06 Jun 21 2015
Read 1,994 times

There were cultures in the past that believed their soul could be taken this way and there may still be a few isolated ones. I don't like my picture taken because they always come out awful. For example I close my eyes, sneeze as it's been taken, the wind comes up and blows my hair into my face, things like that. It makes me uncomfortable.

•  REPLY  •

Namaah
Namaah
Wraith (46)
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Secretele Vampir is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Secretele Vampir
Vampire Rave member for 11 years.
16:37:20 Jun 23 2015
Read 1,984 times

Just an old wives tale. Like the, "cover your mouth when you yawn or the devil will get your soul."

•  REPLY  •

TravisStCroix
TravisStCroix
Serpent (52)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
18:38:19 Jun 23 2015
Read 1,981 times

I don't like my picture taken, people do things with photos...like posting them on social media whether you like it or not....my opinion...

•  REPLY  •

cadrewolf
cadrewolf
Premiere Sire (127)
[ Give / Take ]
19:37:47 Jun 23 2015
Read 1,978 times

I don't like my picture taken also, but my grandparents always used that line when their photo was taken. whether it was their superstition or what, they were very superstitious. But I use that line now.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
19:49:48 Jun 29 2015
Read 1,934 times

The right photo of someone.. and another [person can under certain situations bring in a tidy bank roll. Blackmail for example.

•  REPLY  •

cadrewolf
cadrewolf
Premiere Sire (127)
[ Give / Take ]
20:25:41 Jun 29 2015
Read 1,931 times

yes it seems that happens a lot Dabbler. yet photos can be enlightening and romantic and have value over the ages of places and friends and life.

•  REPLY  •

DarknessEvolved
DarknessEvolved
Disciple (53)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
09:26:56 Jun 30 2015
Read 1,927 times

This is an old tale I haven't heard of in a while. When this tale originated, as stated before by I believe Dabbler. People would have to sit completely still for proximity two minutes. You move, and it can be a hairline of a centimeter, and you get what is called double exposure. Try sitting still for two minutes. No flinching, no swaying, no slumping. It isn't easy.

Thus the origin of this tale. Now, what another theory of 'pictures can steal your soul' can also account too is this. Oddly I am surprised no one even stated this yet. We each have our own ways of portraying ourselves.

The joker, who will flip the bird, or throw bunny ears on their friends. The serious person who either forces a smile just because it is tradition or keeps a straight face. The photogenic, who might add glam the photo up just for fun.

In everyone's eyes, expression, stature, is what is called body language. Something captured quite well from photography. Look close enough and you can tell the celebrities who love pictures being taken to those who do it just for the publicity. You can tell their current moods, their personality, everything anyone needs to know about a person by a simple picture.

Thus, the term the one who takes your picture will have power over you. The trained art of reading body language is age old. It originated as a spiritual aspect, then found to be useful for gypsies and fortune tellers to see your 'future'. Now this art is used to tell various things, from who's hiding a gun in their pocket, who just stole the $50 from their nearest liquor store, and who's lying in front of a judge. Or the age old way... Is your other half or family member happy.

Thus... in a way it can capture more than just light. It can capture who you are. But, can it steal your soul? Science proves otherwise, but belief thinks that science just isn't digging deep enough.

•  REPLY  •

psychicpsycho
psychicpsycho
Obtruder (51)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
04:57:09 Jul 03 2015
Read 1,903 times

I don't believe that a camera could steal the soul. Cameras sense the REFLECTED light off an object but certainly don't absorb light from a source, like the aura or spiritual form. Just the light bouncing off of it. However, if a spirit was feeding on that light then it might get defensive! No soul stealing though. When inside a human being the soul is dormant and well protected. However, if it weren't then the camera would still only pick up reflected light not absorb source energies!

•  REPLY  •

DragonVvvVPrincess
DragonVvvVPrincess
Carnal Creature (56)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 10 years.
19:01:34 Sep 12 2015
Read 1,791 times

No, I do not believe that taking a picture will steal your soul. I do not like taking pictures for obvious reasons - I am not that attractive and I prefer to take pictures of others instead.LOL!~Mina

•  REPLY  •

cr8054
cr8054
Daemon (95)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
06:36:31 Jan 30 2016
Read 1,648 times

"How many times have you heard someone say, "Don't take my picture, photos steal your soul!"?
Do you believe in this? With advanced technology, anyone can easily take your picture.
Also- do other forms of this "soul taking" exist? Ex- TV, home videos, paintings, sketches, etc?

Or do you think its all a ruse not to take their picture because they believe they aren't photogenic?"

I think this has something to do with the passage from the book of Exodus 20:4 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth"

I know some Christian sects like the Amish take this very seriously but for most people its no big deal. I personally don't think having your picture taken or being recorded on video steals your soul. I do however dislike that there is very little privacy anymore. Anyone can snap a picture of you for any reason including ridicule and thats not right.

•  REPLY  •

StrangeWings
StrangeWings
Superior Sire (147)
Honor: 33
[ Give / Take ]
20:56:08 Feb 12 2016
Read 1,587 times

Here is another take on this:

I was in Japan years ago visiting a small town and there was an area where supposedly Samurai had executed criminals. I spent several hours there asking people to take a photo of me but they all refused, including the group that I was traveling with. They were afraid that ghosts would appear in the image with me, which meant bad luck (or even death) for me and possibly anyone taking the photograph. I was disappointed but more so shocked that even in this modern era that belief was so strong.

•  REPLY  •

BeautifulEnlightenment
BeautifulEnlightenment
Venerable Sire (135)
[ Give / Take ]
15:48:59 Feb 13 2016
Read 1,578 times

Wow StrangeWings.... I'm thinking that must be where they came up with the idea for that movie "The Grudge"!! LOL!! I would have took a selfie.. Just to see if the ghosts would show up.. Would love to know if you ended up with any pics at all with ghosts in em? LOL :P

CR8054 says: "I think this has something to do with the passage from the book of Exodus 20:4 "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth" '

Actually.. What that commandment means is that you can't make any statues or figurines or photos in Christ's image or heaven above.

•  REPLY  •

wolfmoon
wolfmoon
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Dark Souls (Coven)
01:53:35 Feb 15 2016
Read 1,570 times

I dont know i would say now its probably there self concious im like that,i hate my picture taken cause i dont look like i did ten yrs ago,no matter how good ppl say i look i dont see it.

•  REPLY  •

StrangeWings
StrangeWings
Superior Sire (147)
Honor: 33
[ Give / Take ]
17:28:07 Feb 15 2016
Read 1,559 times

@ BeautifulEnlightenment: Unfortunately, I had a cheap non-camera flip phone with me at the time or I definitely would have. This also took place a couple of years before the dawn of the iPhone...

•  REPLY  •

wolfmoon
wolfmoon
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Dark Souls (Coven)
19:41:35 Feb 24 2016
Read 1,524 times

It is just superstion just like the reason for saying bless you after someone sneezes it was supose to keep deamons from getting in your body lol

•  REPLY  •

Neinmortlan
Neinmortlan
Great Sire (115)
Honor: 300
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Secrets is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Secrets
Vampire Rave member for 18 years.
00:56:11 Feb 27 2016
Read 1,515 times

its also held by native cultures in the South Pacific as well...

I don't believe it does, what they say...

•  REPLY  •

AtsilaOdahingum
AtsilaOdahingum

No Longer Registered
04:24:06 Mar 10 2016
Read 1,466 times

Being native American myself i must say i hate having my photos taken but as i was raised outside my tribe i dont believe it will hurt my soul. I just always look fatter in pics then in person so i just hate it. Pics never look that good in person is so much better lol

•  REPLY  •

AtsilaOdahingum
AtsilaOdahingum

No Longer Registered
16:16:52 Mar 10 2016
Read 1,458 times

If its for friends and they ask before they take them i guess it would be ok. I just dont like them im a bit shy on that aspect

•  REPLY  •

Neinmortlan
Neinmortlan
Great Sire (115)
Honor: 300
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Secrets is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Secrets
19:34:50 Mar 16 2016
Read 1,426 times

I'm reminded of the portrait of dorian grey... if that were the case; take as many as you want

•  REPLY  •

Lutris8
Lutris8

No Longer Registered
10:21:42 May 27 2016
Read 1,327 times

I have never liked being photographed. I do believe that if its someone's preference or belief not to be photographed, then that's okay too. The "mind" is so amazingly complex, that beliefs can manifest in many ways.

•  REPLY  •

Lap1s
Lap1s
Venerable Sire (130)
Honor: 1,117
[ Give / Take ]
Member of The House of La Bella Oscuridad
17:38:37 May 29 2016
Read 1,308 times

I personally dont like having my photo taken.....but I sure as hell dont think it takes my soul...

•  REPLY  •

04:41:46 Jun 06 2016
Read 1,267 times

A very simple courtesy of politely asking will usually produce cooperation as opposed to making someone feel they have been violated by a weird creeper.

•  REPLY  •

Gamorrah
Gamorrah

No Longer Registered
11:32:34 Jun 11 2016
Read 1,242 times

Don't steal my reflected photons. They're MY reflected photons!

Take a picture, no flash, in a dark room. If they don't protest or feel any pain, you'll know the reason.

•  REPLY  •

WishBone
WishBone
Termagant (58)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Art (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 11 years.
17:15:01 Jun 11 2016
Read 1,238 times

now days with security cameras,dashboard cameras and iphone cameras you never know when your picture has been taken not to mention bus cams and stoplight cams and then you got the satellite cameras

•  REPLY  •

cagedbird
cagedbird
Mosquito (7)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 7 years.
22:27:46 Sep 07 2016
Read 1,132 times

Isn't it believed spirits can become trapped in looking glasses? People believe Bela Lugosi's mirror is haunted.
It's also where the act of Skrying comes from

•  REPLY  •

KieaCakes
KieaCakes
Phantasm (48)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
01:09:15 Sep 20 2016
Read 1,087 times

I ise to say it at school to avoid picture day. Having proof of my abuse as a kid to stare at just wasn't my cup of tea. Now? I don't have enough pictures. The few I have are selfies. Hubby isn't the picture taking type and I don't have many friends to hang out with and when we do I'm so excited that I forget to ask to have pictures taken while we're out. My facebook pictures of other people, places, and pets number in the thousands. If I could do it over I think I'd have done every picture day just so I could have something of me, bruises and all.
My point, I believe very few people actually believe the soul stealing excuse anymore. It was believable before technology and education. Now, there's really no excuse. While we don't know everything, being educated has allowed us to lay certain superstitions to rest.

•  REPLY  •

MalicedTouch
MalicedTouch
Doppelganger (69)
[ Give / Take ]
Poison (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Poison (Coven)
14:34:31 Sep 21 2016
Read 1,070 times

I think for the most part, it comes down to a person's culture. I personally do not think a photograph captures the soul as in taking it away. I do think photos can reveal more than what we may think.

For example...I know of a person who has multiple personalities. And even when he is in control (so to speak) if you take his picture in that split second- it is not him. The picture will depict one of his alters...almost always.

•  REPLY  •

Atieno
Atieno
Incendiary (86)
Honor: 7
[ Give / Take ]

Member of Poison (Coven)
23:11:10 Sep 22 2016
Read 1,052 times

not sure if part of your soul is taken or if it tells if you've got a soul but i know that whenever i take a picture of myself you can't see my face clearly its always blurry...its been that way for 3years now

•  REPLY  •

Cinnamon
Cinnamon
Premiere Sire (126)
[ Give / Take ]
18:13:09 Nov 11 2016
Read 968 times

Actually, I feel the opposite about photos taken of me. They fail to capture my soul, my spirit, and therefore are hugely disappointing to me. As some have mentioned here, my expressions in photos are forced and unnatural. I have never been photogenic. I get quite tense when someone wants to take a photo of me. I've never claimed that it will steal my soul, though. I don't hold that belief.

Having said that, though, I do feel weird about destroying or throwing away photos of people. I don't know why. Also, I feel like a photo of a deceased person seems ... flatter than those of people who are still living. I don't know if that's because I know that person is no longer with us and that makes me view the photo differently or what. Hmm ...

Anyone else share these quirks and/or feelings?

•  REPLY  •

markus666
markus666
Great Sire (117)
Honor: 139
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Elizabeth Batory is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Elizabeth Batory
11:42:06 Nov 14 2016
Read 940 times

What is a Picture? A combination of colors on top of a piece of "paper", and the color are "scramble" by the camera to create the image that is in front. NO, if someone take your picture, your Soul is NOT taken. That is impossible. The realization about how the system work, will stop the superstition of the masses. The only way that I can take your soul, is If you give it to me in your own will.

•  REPLY  •

Maro
Maro
Venerable Sire (132)
Honor: 487
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Invisus Secretus is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Invisus Secretus
14:03:58 Nov 17 2016
Read 914 times

My two cents... could it be based on the intent of the person taking the picture and what they plan to do with it? After all, a picture is a very personal thing.

•  REPLY  •

SweetInsanity
SweetInsanity
Bloodsucker (50)
[ Give / Take ]
Limbus Patrum (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Limbus Patrum (Coven)
20:42:56 Nov 18 2016
Read 903 times

photos capture so much more than what people think

•  REPLY  •

Soulshroude
Soulshroude

No Longer Registered
05:13:57 Nov 19 2016
Read 890 times

At times I do feel uncomfortable when people take my picture, yeah. Always ask permission. Most of the time, I tend to take over the moment... decline the picture and ask if I can take it instead. Automatically leaving myself out of the loop. I was never one for photo time.

•  REPLY  •

Endana
Endana
Shadow (10)
[ Give / Take ]
22:37:27 Dec 04 2016
Read 857 times

I feel photography can show ones Aura or soul.

http://www.atlanteanconspiracy.com/2013/07/biofield-electrography-kirlian.html

•  REPLY  •

Li
Li
Chimera (90)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
22:48:29 Dec 04 2016
Read 854 times

Some lore says that vampires can't be caught on film. I wonder if this has to do with the whole not having a soul thing? I mean, if some cultures believe that a photo captures one's soul, then wouldn't they believe that a creature who is soulless wouldn't be able to be caught on film?

•  REPLY  •

01:46:29 Dec 05 2016
Read 846 times

I once saw a very mysterious person in Salem, MA. I tried to follow them but they seemed to just vanish.

•  REPLY  •

MoonlitGodess
MoonlitGodess
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of Poison (Coven)
09:28:11 Dec 13 2016
Read 815 times

i can kind of understand the phrase, i myslef dont like getting my picture taken. my grandfather used to take pictures or myself and my cousins ever single change he got so now as an adult i dont like it lol

•  REPLY  •

DarkestTemptation
DarkestTemptation
Daemon (95)
[ Give / Take ]

23:40:42 Jan 11 2017
Read 757 times

I never liked it cause I never could get the right pose or look ready or I thought if they did that the camera would brake or something to that matter. lol

•  REPLY  •

MoonlitGodess
MoonlitGodess
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of Poison (Coven)
09:15:49 Jan 13 2017
Read 734 times

sometimes being an adult is too difficult or busy to have time to take pics.

my fiances sister takes im not kidding like 300+ pics whenever she goes somewhere. and out of those 300 maybe 8 get put on social media, i personally think its stupid.

take a few thats fine but eventually the camera is just going to give up lol

•  REPLY  •

SpiritChaos
SpiritChaos
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 6 years.
08:07:26 Oct 31 2017
Read 550 times

I dont mind people taking my picture (obviously with my permission) however I would rather do it myself, as I am very picky on how I like pictures, especially ones with me, to look. Either they take it blurry, or at an angle i dont like, etc...I would rather just do it myself.

As for taking they're soul, I've heard of forms of magick like this, however unless you were deep in the dark arts, then generally it was just causing back luck to a person. In generally, no I don't believe this is possible.

•  REPLY  •

Agdistis
Agdistis
Specter (43)
[ Give / Take ]
Spiritual Enlightenment (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Spiritual Enlightenment (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 6 years.
18:59:10 Jan 06 2018
Read 496 times

I don't tell people cameras will steal my soul, and I've never heard that from people before in the real world.

However, I'm a Santeria practitioner, and if I become an initiate, I'll go through a brief period shortly after the initiation where I shouldn't be in pictures. They can disrupt spiritual energy -- which is to say, in times when you should be focusing intensely on your new spiritual practices, you're worried about how the world thinks of you.

I encourage people to not take my picture in general. It's rude to do it without asking, even in a group shot or a candid. As a trans person I have a very troubled relationship with my body, too, so I only enjoy being in photos if I have some control over them, and I hate looking at photos of myself.

•  REPLY  •

Doru
Doru
Venerable Sire (134)
Honor: 660
[ Give / Take ]

17:06:44 Jan 07 2018
Read 492 times

With every act, no matter how subtle, we leave part of our soul engrained in everything we do. Our soul leaves a trail of good, bad, or indifferent with each interaction our life consumes. Staining the world with our mark on all of the lives we touch directly or indirectly.

•  REPLY  •

Dragonrouge
Dragonrouge
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
23:42:02 Feb 05 2018
Read 466 times

In the vampire "mythology", the silver as a powerful anti-bacterial was dangerous for undead.
In the XIXth cetury the mirrors backs and the photography support contained silver, so these objects were somehow dangerous for vampire.

In Africa people thought that souls are the doubles of the body appearance and since you record the image on a support it can contain also the soul.

•  REPLY  •

feralmuse
feralmuse
Hellhound (70)
[ Give / Take ]

20:41:43 Feb 24 2018
Read 444 times

From my understanding, certain spiritual paths DO prohibit pictures from being taken

•  REPLY  •

Tantras
Tantras
Unregenerate (63)
[ Give / Take ]

Vampire Rave member for 5 years.
04:52:25 Jun 28 2018
Read 395 times

I never bought into the photo stealing your soul thing. That said, I do not like having my picture taken at all.

•  REPLY  •

• • • • THIS THREAD IS CLOSED • • • •
•  Closed by Vampirewitch39 on Jan 19 2020  •

•  General Discussion Home  •   Forums Home  •

COMPANY
REQUEST HELP
CONTACT US
SITEMAP
REPORT A BUG
UPDATES
LEGAL
TERMS OF SERVICE
PRIVACY POLICY
DMCA POLICY
REAL VAMPIRES LOVE VAMPIRE RAVE
© 2004 - 2024 Vampire Rave
All Rights Reserved.
Vampire Rave is a member of 
Page generated in 0.7441 seconds.
X
Username:

Password:
I agree to Vampire Rave's Privacy Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's Terms of Service.
I agree to Vampire Rave's DMCA Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's use of Cookies.
X