Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
Honor: 40
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 19 years.
19:21:15 Nov 05 2008
Read 63,677 times

With the recent changes on Vampire Rave surrounding the Database, we know members have had some questions about the process of submitting good Database entries.

The Procurators have compiled a quick FAQ to post in the forum. Members are welcome to post questions here as well.

Submitting Entries

• White borders surrounding submission pictures are not acceptable. Procurators must edit these out if they don't want to reject a submission. There are free image editing programs available for download on the internet that will allow you to edit images such as, Gimp.

• When submitting a song to the Vampire Database, be sure to include the Band and Album name in which the song is listed.

• The AKA fields are not for keywords (like vampire movie, sci fi, shoes, high heels, dress). If what you are submitting is known by another name, enter it there. Otherwise, there's no need to put anything in this field.

• The custom field section can be used to provide the most valuable information about your submission. It can be a little confusing at first, so provided is a screenshot that you can use as a reference when submitting entries to the Database:
Vampire Rave - The Ultimate Vampire Resource and Directory - http://www/VampireRave.com

Notice, there is no need to put any : after a Define field. Those are added automatically after your submission is approved. When the word Website is entered into a Define Field, the Value will automatically become a clickable link.

• Custom fields do have a character length limit. If you enter a link into a Value field that is too long, it will get cut off and will no longer lead members to the item when they click it. Try to double check that your entire link is entered. If you are not sure if the link you've provided is too long, then just put it in the description and when you submit it for approval, a Procurator will do a double check as well.

• Be very mindful of the image file type and size requirements. Images must be JPG or GIF format at at least 200x200 pixels. If it is larger than that, you should be fine as long as the file size does not exceed 1 MEG - your image will automatically be resized for you.

• When an entry is added, an Amazon.com link is automatically generated, so there is no need to need to add any other Amazon.com links if you happen to have them. :)

Editing Existing Entries

• If you're editing an existing entry in the Database and are correcting the title of the entry, please double check that your correction is valid.

Example:

Hellsing - the name of the Japanese manga series/Anime series

Helsing - The last name of Abraham Van Helsing

There are variations of these things depending on what the entry is.

• Edits for entries in the CLEANUP section will be rejected. This section is for Procurators to review and edit/delete as necessary.

• Please do make use of the Additional Notes: section, especially when editing an existing entry in the Database. This helps us determine quickly what has been edited and why.

There is also a Database group to help members with other issues they may have.

This is a group all about the database. Created and run by the Procurator team. It is design to keep you up to date on all aspects of the database. It also has 3 database site maps. And a forum to cover all questions and thoughts you might have. You can check out the group by clicking here.

•  REPLY  •

Nightgame
Nightgame
Superior Sire (144)
Honor: 30
[ Give / Take ]
The House of Umbrae Octo is a member of an Alliance

Member of The House of Umbrae Octo
Vampire Rave member for 17 years.
20:25:56 Nov 05 2008
Read 63,589 times

Thank you Morrigon I was having trouble with the custom fields. I'm making this sticky since it's current and needed information.

•  REPLY  •

Cheetahcry
Cheetahcry
Diabolist (91)
Honor: 0
[ Give / Take ]
Limbus Patrum (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Limbus Patrum (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 15 years.
21:54:17 Nov 05 2008
Read 63,545 times

Thank you for the tips here. I was trying to figure out how I could help those in my coven enter things. Also, Is there a specific place for entering a web site in general or does the website need to be linked to one certain subject matter? for example a website that specializes in clothing.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
23:08:31 Nov 05 2008
Read 63,498 times

If you are listing a specific item, then just list a link that leads directly to that item. If you're listing a whole themed clothing website, then a general link to the home page of the website is fine.

•  REPLY  •

birra
birra
Venerable Sire (130)
Honor: 20
[ Give / Take ]

23:31:20 Nov 05 2008
Read 63,466 times

Excellent summation of what should be done and what is expected.

Thank you for spelling it out so clearly!

•  REPLY  •

Bones
Bones
Royal Sire (207)
[ Give / Take ]
The House of Lunazure is a member of an Alliance

Member of The House of Lunazure
Vampire Rave member for 18 years.
02:10:18 Nov 06 2008
Read 63,419 times

And if you're re-submitting items that have been rejected over and over, give it a break and try submitting something new. Procurators are not going to give in if you keep submitting the same item over and over again.

Err, wait a minute... *looks down at red tag*, I'm not a Procurator! ;p

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]
House Eternal is a member of an Alliance

Member of House Eternal
14:54:12 Nov 06 2008
Read 63,352 times

Now that we are processing hundreds of submissions a day, instead of the two or three that we had on the 'old system' we are simply not able to spend the hours researching each suggestion like we used to ...

We have whatever description you have provided and a picture and that is it. While we will check that the links work and so on, we simply don't have the time anymore to go and check the content...

So, unless its obvious, its a good idea to add a line at the top that helps introduce why you think it belongs, for example

Featuring John, as the vampire detective ...
or
Including spacecraft and time travel, this book ...

This will stop us denying something that you know is right for the database, but we didn't know why it is right.

It is not a good idea to rely on amazon's tags - anyone can put those tags on anything, they don't have to be correct :)

It's going great you guys. Yup, there are a few problems to start out with, but the database is filling faster than ever, and its all down to your work and your suggestions :D

•  REPLY  •

TumorNamedMarla
TumorNamedMarla
Venerable Sire (135)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 16 years.
17:10:48 Nov 06 2008
Read 63,326 times

What if what you enter is from your own personal collection and not something from a website.Such as a DVD movie or a Book..with no price to add or such??

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
18:09:41 Nov 06 2008
Read 63,310 times

DVDs and books will all contain ISBN numbers and so on which will allow you to search the information out from amazon.com and save you the bother of typing out a long and detailed description yourself

•  REPLY  •

Ravena
Ravena
Sire (105)
[ Give / Take ]
The House of Madadh-Alluidh is a member of an Alliance

Member of The House of Madadh-Alluidh
02:44:43 Nov 07 2008
Read 63,263 times

what needs to be in the custom fields when you try to submit a movie??

•  REPLY  •

Cancer
Cancer
Superior Sire (147)
Honor: 88
[ Give / Take ]
06:00:08 Nov 07 2008
Read 63,231 times

All categories have "fixed" fields. These attributes apply to all entries with a category.

All entries have "custom" fields. These fields are not required, but they allow to totally customize the entry you are working on.

A few good examples for the use of custom fields:

For night clubs> Cover Charge: $5

For books> Pages: 150

For movies> Language: Spanish

And so on...

The custom fields allow you quite a bit of power in creating a very nice entry.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
17:03:41 Nov 07 2008
Read 63,194 times

Sci-Fi TV series go under the Television section of the Database. They are not movies.

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
15:59:19 Nov 08 2008
Read 63,138 times

Ah now I understand that last question a bit better:

TV series get one entry in the database: so 'Buffy' is listed once as a TV series - the entry can be improved and added to by the 'edit' system

DVDs of that TV series are just a recording of that TV series and won't be listed again in the VR database

hmmmm I hope that makes sense

•  REPLY  •

PandorasBx
PandorasBx
Royal Sire (209)
[ Give / Take ]
05:25:49 Nov 10 2008
Read 63,062 times

Yes Artemka that does and thanks so much for all the help you have given me especially with my early blunders lol, your patience and understanding is much appreciated =]

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
13:00:14 Nov 12 2008
Read 62,934 times

Before listing music,

please, please read the guidelines - BANDS must be totally vampire and SONGS must have the lyrics posted mentioning vampire(s)

Please don't look at what is already there, the bands that are there were mostly transferred from the old database where goth-metal was allowed - the new guidelines are much stricter

I have just spent a heartbreaking morning denying five hours of a members hard work suggesting bands most of which couldn't be allowed

~Art

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
15:35:18 Nov 20 2008
Read 62,791 times

If you chose to try and reproduce an entire website, item by item, that is good - but please try to remember

just because the site has vampire in its name, does not make everything inside vampire - these sites often cater for other alternative folk - nurses corsets have no place in the VR database

the manufacturer (maker) is often not the website that stocks and sells them : if you don't know the manufacturer then make a 'define field' as "website" and put the item's web address in the 'value field' as http://www......

•  REPLY  •

MorbidAngels15
MorbidAngels15
Great Sire (117)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of The Coven of Pirates
18:57:13 Dec 04 2008
Read 62,592 times

This is great information. but i tried to submit some of my poetry what i wrote myself and it was denied, and im not sure why because it didn't say.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
02:58:26 Dec 05 2008
Read 62,582 times

Feel free to ask (politely) for clarification. Often, poetry will be rejected at first so a member can specify to Procurators that their poem is copyrighted to them. We need to double check with these things. Also be sure that all of your spelling and grammar is correct.

Like the instructions say, use the additional notes section to clarify things with Procurators. It REALLY helps us out :)

•  REPLY  •

Arsenic
Arsenic

No Longer Registered
09:46:03 Dec 06 2008
Read 62,545 times

I found 3 entries that were submitted 3 times each by different members and sent in an "edit" on them with the corresponding links.

However they were immediately denied, I thought we were given credit for finding errors?

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
22:51:47 Dec 07 2008
Read 62,496 times

Arsenic,

you are correct - unfortunately you do have to spell it out for us

If you find a duplicate entry please 'edit' the newest one and use the additional notes section to tell the procurator that it is a duplicate entry and provide a link/URL to the duplicate.

The on-duty procurator will approve the 'edit' to give you the credit and the enact the necessary changes.

There was a problem this morning where the procurators were simply not able to find the duplicates. If we can't find the duplicate, the 'edit' will have to be denied simply to allow us to move on to the next item in the queue.

We often have people report a duplicate but put the URL of the same page that they are 'editing' - we don't know if they are confused or have made a mistake.

Sometimes reported duplicates aren't really duplicates - they are different items with the same name. We also have our share of false alarms.

The volunteers are now processing THOUSANDS of new items and edits, across the three Dark Network databases, every month - while also trying to enjoy our own accounts on VR - nearly every new entry requires some sort of edit or research - unfortunately we simply don't have the time to do the detective work we used to.

•  REPLY  •

Dragonrouge
Dragonrouge
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
21:45:46 Dec 13 2008
Read 62,404 times

Selecting the database items in the past database was easier because it had an "unrated" items option.
By removing it is very hard for a new member to rate the entire database if they choose to do that.
Can`t you put that option back on the menu please?

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
12:46:15 Dec 14 2008
Read 62,383 times

Dragonrouge,

in case Cancer is not following this thread - I have mentioned this to him by procurator message

I know he has a huge workload at the moment so it might not be instant :)

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
20:35:12 Dec 14 2008
Read 62,366 times

Dragonrouge,

the reply came back just now - the 'unrated' search function took up too much resources so it was removed - in its place, as 'next best thing' was the [unrated] marking

sorry

•  REPLY  •

Dragonrouge
Dragonrouge
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
05:46:57 Dec 15 2008
Read 62,342 times

Thank you for the reply.
It`s not the same thing, but again, it`s not the only interesting "improvement" on the site.
I know the efforts are made but still I liked the old version of VR database, though I seem to be the only one here.
Nobody seems to notice anything.

I don`t want to start a dispute about that but there is no stamp button there either, though many continues to stamp the database, including me.

Also the amount of percentage of the database submission obliges the higher raked members to post excessively in the database.You keep complaining you are not enough Procurators to handle the situation.You all guys do a lot of work I appreciate that!
I suggest, if I am allowed, to you to lower the percentage.
This way you will have more time to verify the submissions.
In my book quality counts more then quantity.

I hope I`m not making a big deal out of it.After all the plans are usually contradicted by the practice, so I hope this changes are not definitive.
I hope I am understood correctly: I am honest and I admire and greatly appreciate your work here.I hope you will take this as a constructed criticism not an attempt to ruin your work.

It`s only my opinion and it might not be appreciated by most of the Premium Members or the elders of this site.
I only speak because I do love VR as many other members who might have the same issues.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
17:16:54 Dec 15 2008
Read 62,326 times

Artemka or any other Procurator certainly hasn't complained that there aren't enough of us, we just want to make it clear that we are a small group of people working on a lot of submissions, and we're not machines.

Every entry is verified before it is released to be added to the Database and with the new additions to the system, if other members see a mistake in an entry, they may fix it and receive credit for it. We have a great system where anyone can help out.

While questions are really welcome here, this isn't a thread for people to rant about what they don't like about the Database. Some huge and awesome changes have been made. Obviously, not everyone will be happy, but our number one goal is to work on expanding our Database and work with people who are interested in making a contribution.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
17:19:26 Dec 15 2008
Read 62,320 times

Speaking of edits...

If you have more information on a submission, please go ahead and and submit an edit for it.

Especially those older entries, I'm sure there are some updates that could be done.

Pictures for entries, especially books and movies - If you have a better version with no white border or Amazon.com arrow, submit an edit.

We want to keep up the good quality of the Database and we greatly appreciate any and all help the members of VR are willing to give.

Remember, you receive credit to your level score for submitting edits!

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
19:26:58 Dec 15 2008
Read 62,302 times

As Morrigon has just said ...

I would like to add my 2c worth on stamping the database:

The stamp option was removed because it was very, very clear that people were stamping and moving on often without letting the page load properly - under those circumstances the member might as well rate without a comment / mark and achieve the same result.

The people who continue to 'stamp' the database are pasting a link to their photobucket account.

The real problem is caused by the size of these stamps. While it is just inconsiderate to blast someone's profile out of proportion with an oversized stamp, it creates an issue with database entries where we can't tell if there is a problem with the listing itself or if a stamp has messed it up.

The new system causes a member's efforts to contribute to the core purpose of the site 'The Ultimate Vampire Resource and Directory' (now expanded into the Dark Network) where before the member's efforts were to contribute to a forum. If people are encouraged to add to the database, it is a great thing. It is also worth mentioning that a lot of Sire's, who cannot increase their status anymore, contribute regularly to the database because they want to - not because they have to

People used to complain when their status was affected by the housekeeping of that forum, or would complain that people were artificially inflating their status with nonsense posts to the forum - the new system ensures that a member earns a status point and, once earned, it won't suddenly disappear. With all that in mind, there is simply no need to drop the percentage

We do understand that you are not attacking our work, not many people do - and most people do appreciate the amount of time that we dedicate to their submissions - but the changes are a good thing if given a fair chance to find its feet.

•  REPLY  •

Abstract
Abstract
Premiere Sire (120)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
22:07:23 Dec 15 2008
Read 62,283 times

And to add to what Art and Morri said, we do check for quality entries. That is something I can assure you that every one of us does.

What might seem to not be quality to you, is full of quality to another person. You need to remember that this isn't just about VR anymore. It is about all the Dark Network sites. You may not see the quality in a book about Batman where a person that does see the quality in that wouldn't really care about something like Twilight. It all comes down to perspective.

•  REPLY  •

DMZ
DMZ
Illusionist (78)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
01:09:13 Dec 17 2008
Read 62,260 times

you guys are doing an awesome job and I wanted to say keep up the good that all of you guys are doing. As for me i love the new system I have found a lot of items to be added to all of the databases and have made the effort to have all of my new entries added and most have and I gotta say thanks to all on here. it is a hard job and yall are here to help out as much as you guys can do.
thanks,
DMC

•  REPLY  •

Dragonrouge
Dragonrouge
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
08:07:25 Dec 18 2008
Read 62,222 times

Thank you for your answers!
I see clearly that the my assumptions were wrong.You know the situation better then me.You work there.It was just a suggestion.

I am ABSOLUTELY SURE that the procurators verify the database entries and that they assure that everything that`s posted is genuine!
That`s a great volume of work.As I said before I understand that and appreciate it!

If I upset anyone of you I am really sorry.I am one of those who like to post there and I also like to read and to find out new amazing things about vampires.I guess that some of you know that.
This is the only site I know that has such a huge database on this subject!
Thank you for this and please don`t get me wrong!

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
20:16:19 Jan 03 2009
Read 62,090 times

BleedingMassacre,

I wrote a guide Everyone's Guide to New Database Entries which explains the basics of how to add stuff

I hope to be doing another one on edits as soon as I can get around to finishing it

:D

•  REPLY  •

deadmourn
deadmourn
Apostate (62)
[ Give / Take ]

03:06:53 Jan 05 2009
Read 62,052 times

My entries aren't getting approved because i cant put in a direct link to the item because the url is too long. So i put the main page of the website and they get denied. How do I put a link to the item when there is too long of a url?

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
23:33:45 Jan 05 2009
Read 62,025 times

This is covered in the first post....

"Custom fields do have a character length limit. If you enter a link into a Value field that is too long, it will get cut off and will no longer lead members to the item when they click it. Try to double check that your entire link is entered. If you are not sure if the link you've provided is too long, then just put it in the description and when you submit it for approval, a Procurator will do a double check as well. "

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
23:36:02 Jan 05 2009
Read 62,017 times

I've had to deny numerous submissions because the entries already exist in the Database. The search option for the Database can be rather tricky.

Sometimes you need to search for partial titles. For example:

"Vampire Diaries: The Fury and Dark Reunion"

Instead of searching for the whole title, try just searching "Vampire Diaries".

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
11:23:40 Jan 17 2009
Read 61,913 times

KingDominicDrake,

sorry but no - the procurator can leave a message with a denial but if they're busy it isn't always possible. Two minutes to type out a message with over two thousand submissions a month would represent over 66 additional hours work a month !

If a member submits a string of stuff, all with the same fault, I usually put the reason on the first message only

The only rejection I can find for your submissions in the log is 'Blood Noir' which is already listed here.

As Morrie has just said, its a great idea to use the categories search thing to check something isn't already listed. Its not 100% but it quickly found that one :)

Hope that helps

•  REPLY  •

BLOODLIFE
BLOODLIFE
Venerable Sire (137)
[ Give / Take ]
17:00:27 Jan 26 2009
Read 61,812 times

OMG ... that's incredible. I just came away from the database and didn't realize what was meant by 'editing an entry'.
You don't just get the power to edit it but to .. well you get to do what you want with it. I think that's horrendous knowing how small minded some of the drama merchants on this site can be.
It's a bit like someone coming to your profile and adding whatever takes there fancy.
I really hope people use common sense in this area.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
18:23:45 Jan 26 2009
Read 61,801 times

Considering all edits must be approved by Procurators before they are processed, inappropriate edits to Database submissions will not be a problem.

•  REPLY  •

Bones
Bones
Royal Sire (207)
[ Give / Take ]

03:38:48 Jan 27 2009
Read 61,781 times

Are audio books (books on tape or cd) considered book entries for the database (Provided they haven't already been submitted in a paper/print version)?

•  REPLY  •

Bones
Bones
Royal Sire (207)
[ Give / Take ]

22:35:58 Jan 29 2009
Read 61,745 times

Just a note to anyone who reads this thread, that my question above was answered in House Eternals forum by, artemka, with the following reply:

"Audio books - yup books f'sure, just make a little 'format' field and put audio book on the other side, :) There's a few in there."

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
14:04:24 Jan 31 2009
Read 61,716 times

BLOODLIFE, as Morrie just said people's edits have to be approved before any changes are made and we get a clever screen that highlights what has changed.

Edits have to be the quickest way to gain status, the entry has already been approved so you don't run the risk of working to send in a duplicate or inappropriate entry, it will also already be in the correct category - searching out a better description, larger pic or even improving the layout of the existing entry will all help - its never a good idea to just make stupid, minor changes just to point score

Some good folk have earned hundreds of easy status points improving on existing entries

•  REPLY  •

lordxofxwar
lordxofxwar
Premiere Sire (123)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of The House of Caomhnõir-an-Eolas
09:15:51 Mar 10 2009
Read 61,435 times

Not sure if this was also covered, but if a link is to long for the Custom field. Try going to the website that you found the item that you are trying to edit or list and if the website has a search engine put the name of the item in the search engine and look it up. I have done this many times and they give me a shorter link that will fit into the Custom field.

•  REPLY  •

MizzRae
MizzRae
Elemental (77)
[ Give / Take ]
Chateau Orleans (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Chateau Orleans (Coven)
09:47:59 Apr 12 2009
Read 61,207 times

Just a question, why are the standards for sites and articles so high? It would seem that you would want to make a database of anything dealing with vampires. But that doesn't seem to be it. I just wanted to know, is there any chance of lowering the standards?

•  REPLY  •

lordxofxwar
lordxofxwar
Premiere Sire (123)
[ Give / Take ]
11:14:00 Apr 13 2009
Read 61,193 times

We would like a database that is thorough and accurate to the best of our abilities. The standards are reasonable and in my opinion easily reached if you do some research on your submissions before submitting them to us... If I am in some way wrong someone please feel free to step in and correct me or add on to what I have said.

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
Vampire Rave member for 11 years.
23:45:03 Apr 13 2009
Read 61,172 times

If we lower our standards we would be lowering the quality of the database. I do believe the standards are fair. And any member can submit a good submission if they take there time. The database is now over 10.000 entries. And going strong. And the good thing about database entries and not forum post being added to your status is your entries will remain there for as long as The Dark Network is open. Unlike the forum post that tended to drop when a thread was deleted. But at the end of the day the standards are fair. And anyone can do it if they just take their time.....

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
11:23:05 Apr 16 2009
Read 61,140 times

MorganCole, just as the others have said - we don't ask for much really: the procurators spend hours editing bad entries not to get the member a point but because they think that the item would make an awesome addition to the database.

We don't need to lower the standards because hundreds of members successfully submit thousands of items.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
00:22:23 Apr 19 2009
Read 61,107 times

Do not submit pornographic movies to the Database. It doesn't matter if they are related to vampires or any other category in the Database, they will not be accepted.

Erotic literature is acceptable, if there is blatant nudity on the cover of the book, it will be rejected.

If you happen to see a movie in the Database that is porn, please make an edit and report it as such. It's much appreciated.

•  REPLY  •

ApocalypticPleasures
ApocalypticPleasures
Superior Sire (140)
[ Give / Take ]
Sanguis Dracones (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Sanguis Dracones (Coven)
17:31:55 Apr 19 2009
Read 61,091 times

How do u know what exists all ready
I know by rating the articles and seeing what is there but how long does the submission of an article have to be to be accepted?

•  REPLY  •

artemka
artemka
Premiere Sire (122)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
11:36:17 Apr 20 2009
Read 61,065 times

You can tell if some items are in the database by going into the category that you think your item fits in and searching a key word : so if your item is a vampire movie called, Dracula's tooth, I would search "tooth"

This isn't 100% but it is quite good. The procurator's know from experience when something is likely to be listed already and will do just this trying a few keywords - there is also a duplicate checker that procurators can use to check across all categories if your item already exists but in a better category than the one you have chosen.

The procurators do not deal with articles, like member's articles, the dominars do that. I don't think there is a minimum length to an article.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
01:45:20 Apr 25 2009
Read 61,026 times

A new category in the Vampire Database has been created: Recipes

Cool huh?

Please please keep a few things in mind:

When submitting a recipe, please make sure it is explicitly about Vampires. It really needs to be obvious whether in its appearance, theme, or name.

(name is stretching it, simply titling something "vampire cheese" does not make it vampire related enough.)

It's totally okay to post recipes that you find online but please keep in mind that the process is pretty much the same as it is for submitting Articles.

Provide a link back to where you found the recipe.
If you found it in a book that you have at your house, please add, in the Additional Notes section, the name of the book.

If you've made this recipe up yourself (and it won't make anyone's kitchen explode) please just let us know in the Additional Notes section.

This will save everyone time and get submissions processed faster rather than us trying to figure out where the recipes came from and who made them.

Thank you!

-M

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
01:46:13 Apr 25 2009
Read 61,017 times

Actually... if it WILL make someone's kitchen explode, please include that warning as well.

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
11:31:01 Apr 25 2009
Read 60,992 times

Can You Please Have your Ingredients and Directions separate!

This way it is clear to follow and understand. And also define each Ingredient on a new line:

Acceptable
1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
1 cup buttermilk
4 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
Vampire Zee Cupcake Template

Not acceptable

1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix, 1 cup buttermilk, 4 large eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, Vampire Zee Cupcake Template,

This also goes for Directions:

Acceptable

Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 jumbo cupcake cups with paper liners. Combine the cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to combine. Increase speed to medium high and beat 2 minutes longer. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.

Step 2
Take the Vampire Zee Cupcake Template, place the cape templates onto a sheet pan, and cover with wax paper. Place the melting chocolate wafers into a small bowl and microwave until smooth, about 1 minute. Spoon the melted chocolate into a 1 quart freezer-weight resealable bag. Snip a very small corner, about 1/8 inch, from the bag with the chocolate. Pipe the outline of the templates and fill with more chocolate. Tap the sheet pan to make the tops smooth. Place the pan in the refrigerator until set, about 5 minutes. Repeat with more wax paper to make 12 sets.

Not acceptable

Step 1
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 jumbo cupcake cups with paper liners. Combine the cake mix, buttermilk, eggs, and oil in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds to combine. Increase speed to medium high and beat 2 minutes longer. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Take the Vampire Zee Cupcake Template, place the cape templates onto a sheet pan, and cover with wax paper. Place the melting chocolate wafers into a small bowl and microwave until smooth, about 1 minute. Spoon the melted chocolate into a 1 quart freezer-weight resealable bag. Snip a very small corner, about 1/8 inch, from the bag with the chocolate. Pipe the outline of the templates and fill with more chocolate. Tap the sheet pan to make the tops smooth. Place the pan in the refrigerator until set, about 5 minutes. Repeat with more wax paper to make 12 sets.

When it comes to a picture please make sure its the picture of the final product. DO NOT GO AND FIND ANOTHER PICTURE ON ANOTHER WEBSITE!(I found submissions tonight that had a picture of a total different dish) If you got the recipe off a website there tends to be a picture of the final product. Also with books too. If theirs not then leave the picture out of it.

One more thing, for those people who do submit their home made recipes feel free to make them and take a picture of the final product. That way your database entry has a picture of the final product and also shows how much of a great cook you are;-)

•  REPLY  •

ravenairsprite
ravenairsprite
Spellbinder (81)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
16:46:06 Apr 25 2009
Read 60,985 times

Ok so here's a question. If you have a recipe but has no mention of vampires in it but for raw meat lovers it'd work well, does it still count? I grew up with a pretty good recipe that I'd like to submit but I want to be sure first.

Bones edit:

ravenairsprite,

At the top of the VR Database main page you'll see the following:

"The Vampire Database : Everything about vampires."

Does this answer your question?

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
20:15:49 Apr 25 2009
Read 60,971 times

Bones has a good answer, also if you read through the postings, I answered this about submitting recipes.

When submitting a recipe, please make sure it is explicitly about Vampires. It really needs to be obvious whether in its appearance, theme, or name.

•  REPLY  •

LostinLife
LostinLife
Hellhound (70)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
05:03:18 May 27 2009
Read 60,782 times

I like this but how many database articles and stuff are there altogether, and it says on my status update I've submitted 102 what does that mean? Because I can't remember and hadn't been on for almost a year until a week ago.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
14:47:26 May 29 2009
Read 60,749 times

In front of each category and sub category is the number of how many submissions each contain so far.

Vampire Rave had a big switch in status requirements and ways of leveling up. Now instead of forum posts helping you level up, Database submissions will help you level up.

Cancer was kind enough to carry over existing members' status from forum posts to Database submissions so no one lost a large part of their status during this change. Those forum posts are now translated to Database Submissions, even if you haven't submitted that many. It's just you getting credit for participating on VR in the past.

•  REPLY  •

Dragonrouge
Dragonrouge
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
18:57:23 May 29 2009
Read 60,736 times

Which ones are the accepted html codes for the articles section of the VR database?
Emphasizing and italics codes are accepted?
What about centering or align them right/left?

What are the size of the pictures accepted in an article we want to submit on the VR database?
I have two family tree branch pictures that should be included in an article related to the Dragon Order and they are big.If I re size them too much they will become unreadable.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
02:06:42 May 30 2009
Read 60,727 times

Please note: When submitting recipes, remember, just because a recipe includes animal blood does NOT mean it is related to vampires.

•  REPLY  •

BeautifullySadistic
BeautifullySadistic
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
18:49:32 Jun 10 2009
Read 60,648 times

Ok. I have a question and a suggestion here.

Question:
If we find a link that no longer works, do we do an "edit" and mention it, or just send a message to a procurator through the help section. I ask because after reviewing this entire thread, I don't see that particular question addressed.

Suggestion:
For those long URL's that aren't being accepted, would a tiny URL work? Rather than having to include the long one and have the procurator fix it, can we just submit it as a 'tiny URL'

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
17:52:04 Jun 11 2009
Read 60,609 times

Certainly, if you find a link that doesn't work then please edit the entry and let a Procurator know. If you can find where an item is relisted or a correct link it would be fantastic if you could submit that with your edit as well.

As far as tiny URLs are concerned, I'm not really sure what you mean. A long URL gets cut off because there is a character limit on the field. If your link is too long you can submit it in the Additional Notes section or you can turn it into a working link and place it in the description of the item you are submitting.

If you're not sure how to make a working link, visit the incredibly awesome Member Article by ElderDaniel : HTML For Whelps . There are step by step instructions for creating clickable links on Vampire Rave.

*NOTE* If you google search for products based on images you will often come up with a huuuuuge link. For example, I searched Vampire Corset by images and was lead to a website with the product on it. Now the URL reads as follows:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.escapade.co.uk/ProductImages/SALEHIRE/Medium/83425.

jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.escapade.co.uk/Leg-Avenue-Costumes-sale/Vampire-Corset-S-Red-Blk-Leg-Ave.asp &usg=__5IFCBIEpHrcEOOQxLsjMQLdlrqg=&h=

364&w=267&sz=15&hl=en&start=12&um=1&tbnid=tiKo0h_yWJ9YnM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=

89&prev=/images%3Fq%3DVampire%

2Bcorset%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4ADBF_enUS320US320%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

THAT is huge.

You may notice that the actual link is included in that really address. I have made the actual link bold so you can see it better.

Click the "remove frame" option to get directly to the product instead of being directed to a google search result and your link goes from that huge thing to:

http://www.escapade.co.uk/Leg-Avenue-Costumes-sale/Vampire-Corset-S-Red-Blk-Leg-Ave-.asp

Much shorter.

•  REPLY  •

BeautifullySadistic
BeautifullySadistic
Dastardly Being (59)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
04:02:36 Jun 12 2009
Read 60,585 times

I wasn't sure if anyone would know what I meant by 'tiny URL'.

It's actually a website that will scrunch up a huge link for you into a tiny one. Like, your example of the actual link (http://www.escapade.co.uk/Leg-Avenue-Costumes-sale/Vampire-Corset-S-Red-Blk-Leg-Ave-.asp) would become (tiny.cc/UIqcc)

The website is http://www.tiny.cc

It's especially useful for places like twitter, but I thought it might be helpful here, too.

By the way, CUTE costume!

•  REPLY  •

Luvadeea
Luvadeea
Changeling (71)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
21:41:26 Jun 12 2009
Read 60,571 times

How can I submit in the database when I have this message from the procurator:

"No further information is available. This message has been sent as a courtesy."

If it wouldn`t be annoying I`d say it would be funny.
There is any chance in placing the nice stuff in the database still?I swear is vampire related and not so ridiculous as many entries.

•  REPLY  •

Luvadeea
Luvadeea
Changeling (71)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
21:52:18 Jun 12 2009
Read 60,565 times

Also I think is good to let others know that for improving old database entries you have to add links for the new info too.

My question is where should we add them, since the AKA boxes (for movie section) are too small for that?

•  REPLY  •

Abstract
Abstract
Premiere Sire (120)
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
22:33:10 Jun 12 2009
Read 60,555 times

I would say using a tinyurl would work fine. Especially if you don't know how to make a link.

I suggest using tinyurl.com or tr.im since they don't randomly delete links. :)

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
04:14:32 Jun 16 2009
Read 60,520 times

Many times Procurators have hundreds of submissions to get through. The message "No further information is available. This message has been sent as a courtesy." is automatically sent by the system when a submission is denied. We simply can't give a reason every time especially when there is a high volume of submissions.

•  REPLY  •

Luvadeea
Luvadeea
Changeling (71)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
17:35:48 Jun 21 2009
Read 60,459 times

In an upper post you said you are enough procurators.

If I am not told where I did a mistake, how could I improve my posting?
Bones said not to post the same thing over and over again and I think that makes sense.

Sometimes I feel that adding thing to the database is more important for members then for procurators.

•  REPLY  •

Luvadeea
Luvadeea
Changeling (71)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
17:45:18 Jun 21 2009
Read 60,456 times

Also, the AKA fields are too short for the long titles.
I added the whole AKA title in the procurator box but was ignored.

AKA are important or I should give up searching for AKAs?

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
17:57:34 Jun 21 2009
Read 60,451 times

Sometimes I feel like it's unfair that it once snowed on my birthday, since my birthday is in May.

In my logic, when a person's submissions continue to be rejected, they should take it upon themselves to read the VR Manual and other various help pages, including Procurator Tips.

It is a Procurator's job to approve valid submissions, not to make sure everyone knows how to submit entries correctly.

If an AKA title is too long to fit, perhaps split it up or simply place it in the description of the entry.

•  REPLY  •

Isis101
Isis101
Venerable Sire (134)
[ Give / Take ]

03:51:46 Jun 25 2009
Read 60,373 times

I have a question/request - keep in mind that I am not computer savvy at all. I have no idea if this can be implemented or not, but here goes:

Could the waiting submissions be shown in a queue, so people will see what's being submitted?

•  REPLY  •

jennaKARRO
jennaKARRO
Banshee (72)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 14 years.
10:51:58 Jun 25 2009
Read 60,350 times

I found a site with wonderful pictures for the items in question, but I can't get the submit entry page to upload the photos.

I just changed from Internet Explorer to Firefox 3, so the issue is probably on my end. I went ahead and submitted them without the pictures and mentioned it in the Procurator Comments section.

I hope it isn't too much trouble for you guys. If I could solve the issue on my end, I would...trust me. I hate submitting anything I don't 100% approve of. I am a bit OCD on asking for help, or someone to do something for me.

I am sorry. You'll probably just deny them, but it said it doesn't "have" to have a photo. So maybe not...

jJenna Karro
NymzanSusauren

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
02:00:21 Jun 26 2009
Read 60,316 times

StriderReborn: It might be please can you send me the name/names you entered and ill will see if that is the problem, and get back to you as soon as possible.

Isis101: It could be possible, but only Cancer can decide if it's worth the trouble of putting it in. I personally don't feel it's really needed because most entries get approved/denied within 12 hours.

jennaKARRO: Please make sure that they are the right format (jpeg/gif). I can't really give you an answer until i know what picture and format type it is. Can you please send it to me and ill get back to you Asap.

•  REPLY  •

Jens
Jens
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
20:29:31 Jul 12 2009
Read 60,180 times

I'd like to stress the importance of title accuracy.

I have found many submissions that contain incorrect titles, such as "t-shirt mousepad" or "t-shirt keychain". It's either one or the other, not both.

Please watch for this and correct the title before you submit it to us. I know it happens accidentally on occasion and we're here to fix it, but when it happens on scores of entries, it slows our work down.

We'd like to enjoy VR too, not spend all our time editing every submission before approving them.

If you could help us out by watching for this I am sure we'd greatly appreciate it. :)

•  REPLY  •

RaggedyAndy
RaggedyAndy
Sire (101)
[ Give / Take ]
18:51:59 Jul 13 2009
Read 60,164 times

NymzanSusauren:

There's an Add-On for Firefox that allows you to display/view pages as they are in Internet Explorer in the Firefox Browser. Of course, you do need IE on your hard drive for this to work. But with the IE Tab, you have the ability to use both Firefox and Internet Explorer Rendering at your fingertips and without having to open a separate Internet Explorer browser when you need it.

IE Tab

Once installed, you click on the IE Tab icon for one time IE display use or you can right click, and add the Main URL of sites you wish to view as Internet Explorer all of the time.

I have it set up so Vampire Rave is in IE Display -- makes it easier to work with.

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
06:06:45 Jul 17 2009
Read 60,121 times

We ask that you leave fix fields blank if you don't know the information. N/a Is not acceptable.

•  REPLY  •

jennaKARRO
jennaKARRO
Banshee (72)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
10:12:06 Jul 19 2009
Read 60,102 times

I have a Procurator Tip that I do not mean
to be in any way insulting...

If you can't find where to link the Power Punk Comics,
(as loads of them don't link to Amazon for buying purposes)
try checking the site for it. I have noticed some of the
links go to open air and dead space. I am sure the
company itself would always carry it...

Ex. Marvel, Aspen, Top Cow, DC, etc.

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
03:34:04 Jul 20 2009
Read 60,090 times

jennaKARRO: Most comic books don't have websites. With Dead Space it is a computer and has a official website. Therefore it has a link. You do not need to have a link for comic books.

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
14:28:36 Aug 24 2009
Read 59,842 times

This is a great source of information and helpful advice.

I have a question.

I have been sending in submissions and as I do each entry I do the search to check if the item is already listed, sometimes it comes back yes it is there and if it isnt I submit the entry. However I get denied as the item is already listed. As I submit around 20 at a time this would be time consumming for the Procuators to go through.

Is there an easy way to do the search so that everything that relates to the topic comes up or is it just luck so to say?

Is there any thought on updating the search field to make things easier and quicker for all involved so as not to waste time?

•  REPLY  •

PandorasBx
PandorasBx
Royal Sire (209)
[ Give / Take ]
15:33:17 Aug 24 2009
Read 59,833 times

Try using a single key word from the title in the search box instead of the whole title. For example, your title is : The Vampire Maker , Vampire is common so use the word Maker in the search box. This helps immensely.

•  REPLY  •

TumorNamedMarla
TumorNamedMarla
Venerable Sire (135)
[ Give / Take ]
13:18:36 Aug 29 2009
Read 59,794 times

Was wondering why Scripts from TV shows are considered "books".Since they aren't in book format or written by an author.

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
15:28:44 Aug 29 2009
Read 59,788 times

Because they are written. And some scripts are release as a book for fans. So the book section we found was more suitable.

•  REPLY  •

08:07:23 Aug 30 2009
Read 59,746 times

Just on a side note, I would like to mention this...

If you see something that should be added (to ANY of the THREE databases of the Dark Network), but there doesn't seem to be a place to put it...ask. If there isn't a field for it, it can and WILL be created. I was curious of it myself.

I added about 60 Comic Series into the Power Punks Database System, but Cancer had to add two fields for Comic Producers that were not yet listed to it first.

So if you have questions...let SOMEONE know them.

•  REPLY  •

AlwaysViolet
AlwaysViolet
Diabolist (91)
[ Give / Take ]
Sanguis Dracones (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Sanguis Dracones (Coven)
18:17:03 Feb 24 2010
Read 57,779 times

I didn't see if this was already answered above...
If you submit something, and it is denied, but doesn't give a reason for being denied....is it alright to just resubmit that entry and hope you have all the ducks in a row the second try?

•  REPLY  •

Lethargy
Lethargy
Sire (106)
[ Give / Take ]
23:33:36 Feb 24 2010
Read 57,760 times

AlwaysViolet the best thing to do is message the Procurator who denied it and ask them why it wasn't acceptable. From there you can decided if you want to resubmit it or not.

•  REPLY  •

airwitch08
airwitch08
Sire (109)
[ Give / Take ]
18:40:15 Mar 09 2010
Read 57,515 times

Though there is nothing against you resubmitting anything, if I'm not mistaken, unless it states in the reason it was denied was because it was already listed, which would make it rather pointless to send it in again.

•  REPLY  •

LordWolf
LordWolf
Charmer (84)
Honor: 6
[ Give / Take ]

Member of House Eternal
17:44:49 Mar 21 2010
Read 57,451 times

perhaps i missed the instruction, but is it allowable to post songs of ones own creation in the database, or must it be commercially produced songs?
~Wolf~

•  REPLY  •

BeautifulEnlightenment
BeautifulEnlightenment
Venerable Sire (135)
[ Give / Take ]
14:44:09 Apr 10 2010
Read 57,267 times

I downloaded the Gimp program. I didn't understand it too well, so I ended up uninstalling it from my computer. Does anyone have the link to the free version of photoshop?

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
17:12:47 Apr 17 2010
Read 57,057 times

To my knowledge, there is no free version of Photoshop.

•  REPLY  •

birra
birra
Venerable Sire (130)
Honor: 20
[ Give / Take ]

17:19:28 Apr 17 2010
Read 57,053 times

Just a suggestion - you can get Photoshop Elements for about $90. That would probably cover what you would need as far as graphics creation and manipulation.

GIMP is a good, open source alternative. Yes, it can be a bit daunting to for a novice user but so would Photoshop.

I bet if you gave GIMP another go and use their online help for tips and tricks it would be just fine for you.

•  REPLY  •

phantomsgrief
phantomsgrief
Incendiary (86)
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Secretele Vampir is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Secretele Vampir
Vampire Rave member for 13 years.
12:44:41 Oct 29 2010
Read 56,335 times

ok going dumb here...

u can make and sell stuff on here like jewelry, lotions. bathing salts, candles, soaps ect?

please let me know, because a friend of mine is wanting to make and sell some things to make a little extra spending money

Lady K edit: As long as she advertises her business properly here, yes this is possible on her profile. Read the VR manual on Advertising as well as the link on the left side menu "Advertising Information".

•  REPLY  •

PandorasBx
PandorasBx
Royal Sire (209)
[ Give / Take ]
09:01:56 Nov 11 2010
Read 55,733 times

phantomsgrief, those items can only be added to the Database if they are vampire related on VR.

•  REPLY  •

PandorasBx
PandorasBx
Royal Sire (209)
[ Give / Take ]
16:30:55 Mar 25 2011
Read 55,059 times

I have been coming across a lot of article submissions for the Database where the person submitting the article for consideration is listing themselves as the author when in fact they are not.

Please remember that unless YOU wrote the article yourself, YOU are not the author. This constitutes plagerism. If the article does not list an author leave it blank. And please remember to accompany it with a link for verification purposes.

Always remember that you can message any one of us if you have any questions.

•  REPLY  •

KnightLevin
KnightLevin
Fire Thrower (87)
[ Give / Take ]

22:10:57 Jul 21 2011
Read 52,723 times

I haven't read this whole thread , so if I'm asking an old question I'm sorry. But what if you have found new things for old articles? Should they be sent in as an update or as an entirely new article ?

•  REPLY  •

Sulks
Sulks
Great Sire (110)
[ Give / Take ]

20:40:13 Jul 22 2011
Read 52,608 times

You can edit existing database entries to update them KnightLevin.

From the VR Manual:

All members level 6 or higher can add new entries to the Database and edit existing Database entries.

Database additions and edits count toward a 5% bonus that is applied to a member's Status.

When a member adds or edits an entry, the entry goes into queue. A Procurator will review the entry and either approve or deny the entry. If approved, the member's submission count will increase by 1. The member is notified by a System Message if the entry is approved or denied.

Edit links are at the top of every Database entry.

•  REPLY  •

Morrigon
Morrigon
High Sire (159)
[ Give / Take ]
12:53:05 Jun 30 2012
Read 44,056 times

Questions that have nothing to do with the Database are going to be removed.

•  REPLY  •

KandyKulture
KandyKulture

No Longer Registered
05:14:59 Aug 17 2012
Read 43,808 times

How do you know what to put into the data base and that would be accepted.? I have my book there in the book section vampiresbelong and it is about this website. I wanted to add something else but says it has to be in your own words can you site where you find it?

•  REPLY  •

Draguakale
Draguakale
Marplot (14)
[ Give / Take ]
21:39:28 Jan 01 2013
Read 40,457 times

How do you flag out of date links? I've been in the data base a lot and I keep finding broken links.

•  REPLY  •

Nekirena
Nekirena
Premiere Sire (128)
Honor: 136
[ Give / Take ]

05:26:36 Jul 13 2013
Read 38,033 times

Draguakale;

Do an edit submission letting us know there are "dead links" or "nonexistent links" and we can fix it from there. In the "Additional Notes" section of the edit form state the reason, for example:

This link no longer works.
The link states the item is no longer available.
The link redirects me to a different site/item

Or the links and we will fix it.
Hope that helps.

•  REPLY  •

Nekirena
Nekirena
Premiere Sire (128)
[ Give / Take ]

05:28:01 Jul 13 2013
Read 38,030 times

*Or the likes.

I wrote links so much I automatically wrote it instead of likes, ha.

•  REPLY  •

Nekirena
Nekirena
Premiere Sire (128)
[ Give / Take ]

03:04:46 Jul 23 2013
Read 36,056 times

I am going to re-post this link, so people will see it rather than skimming through and not reading the thread in it's entirety when submitting new DB submissions:

Everyone's Guide to New Database Entries

Please take the time to read this Member's Article. It explains a lot about new submissions and may help those who need the help rather than waiting for a submission being denied and then asking why.

•  REPLY  •

Originals
Originals
Grave Robber (22)
[ Give / Take ]

Vampire Rave member for 10 years.
07:17:02 Oct 03 2013
Read 35,306 times

What category do calendars fall under? Being I did submit one and also a poster and I could not find a category those fell under I placed them in odds and ends. It was denied reason wrong category.

•  REPLY  •

FALSExCURE
FALSExCURE
Royal Sire (581)
Honor: 27,285
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Midnight Symphony (Coven)
13:14:42 Feb 01 2014
Read 33,827 times

Calendar and Posters are located in Furniture - Decor section.

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
17:19:47 Feb 01 2014
Read 33,744 times

Back when there was an issue and the database lost all the images, a lot of the backgrounds were a white background because of trying to get things back up and running.

The database has been gone through (it is almost finished) and these images have been/or will be fixed.

White backgrounds are not accepted on an image when it is submitted If a procurator doesn't have the time to fix it, or isn't able, the submission will be denied.

Morrigon has given the link to a free photo editing program.

Also-

We do not accept links from:

http://www.ecrater.com/
http://www.bonanza.com/ (is like an ebay/etsy website)
http://www.zazzle.com
http://www.zazzle.com.au/
http://www.zazzle.co.uk/
http://www.cafepress.com/
https://www.etsy.com/

•  REPLY  •

NinaHeart
NinaHeart
Shaitan (64)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
20:14:44 Apr 14 2014
Read 27,653 times

For the Vampire "Clothing" category, would it be possible to post entire websites? I could suggest a number of really great Gothic/Vampire clothing websites, if people are interested. Or would that be more appropriate to include in a member article?

•  REPLY  •

Vampirewitch39
Vampirewitch39
Royal Sire (203)
Honor: 74,400
[ Give / Take ]
The House of Madadh-Alluidh is a member of an Alliance

Member of The House of Madadh-Alluidh
23:28:23 Apr 14 2014
Read 27,594 times

Might want to look at the Link page under Services Menu. :)

•  REPLY  •

LilithAsphodel
LilithAsphodel
Blood Drinker (68)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Hell (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 9 years.
04:04:55 Jul 31 2014
Read 26,171 times

Ok what about if the series is of non vampiric nature but had vampires appear in the series do we specify what episode they appeared in by the name of that perticular episode that they appeared in.

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
17:28:22 Jul 31 2014
Read 26,047 times

There is a section for shows like that.

Non-Vampire Series section.

This is an entry you can look at for an example. Here

•  REPLY  •

NightWitch
NightWitch
Wyvern (85)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
02:30:29 Oct 16 2014
Read 20,008 times

I know there is an option field for the ISBN number but what if what I want to submit has an ASIN number how do I put those in or what field do I use?

•  REPLY  •

FALSExCURE
FALSExCURE
Royal Sire (581)
[ Give / Take ]
20:45:02 Nov 01 2014
Read 18,135 times

List it as ASIN in the custom fields

•  REPLY  •

NightWitch
NightWitch
Wyvern (85)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
01:11:42 Nov 02 2014
Read 18,090 times

Ok thanks for info on that much appreciated.

•  REPLY  •

dabbler
dabbler
Venerable Sire (130)
[ Give / Take ]
20:20:46 Nov 14 2014
Read 15,320 times

Annow why the Cam is not showing ttext in the box? Or is it just my computer?

•  REPLY  •

FALSExCURE
FALSExCURE
Royal Sire (581)
[ Give / Take ]
21:16:50 Nov 14 2014
Read 15,311 times

A Procurator assists in the management of the Vampire Rave Database. This is a thread for tips and Q/A regarding Database submissions, when you have questions outside the scope of this subject please use the correct contact (Request Help link) for the quickest response.

Further information would be needed from you for any type of real troubleshooting to be effective, if you wish to continue please feel free to privately message me and I will try and assist.

•  REPLY  •

NightWitch
NightWitch
Wyvern (85)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
01:03:57 Jan 25 2015
Read 9,828 times

I have been pondering this question for some time now
cause I do a lot of database submissions on the weekends. How long are they good for until they are
thrown out? I ask this because I notice they is no activity of any kind or very little at least when I am on
during the weekends. Sometimes I find myself resubmitting the same ones during the week very frustrating and time consuming.

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
01:22:06 Jan 25 2015
Read 9,823 times

They do not get 'thrown out'. They are in a queue until they are either accepted or denied. There is no reason to submit them over again unless you get a message that you need to do so. Clogging up the submission queue because something hasn't been accepted does not make the submissions go through any faster. Doing that will make it more difficult to sort out the ones that are already in the queue, or ones that are duplicates. Which will take longer.

So that's something to stay away from doing.

It can take time in order to accept them or deny them. The VR is staffed by people who are donating their time. It can take a bit in order for things to be looked at because life happens.

•  REPLY  •

Nekirena
Nekirena
Premiere Sire (128)
[ Give / Take ]

07:07:08 Dec 13 2015
Read 8,014 times

I am tossing this out as a reminder:

When submitting submissions please ensure that they're correct.
That includes spelling and grammar.

Entries that have overly excessive text talk or are not done correctly will be denied.

Approval Guidelines

All submissions are queued for approval by Vampire Rave Procurators. You will be notified by a System Message if your submission or edit is approved or denied. You submission count will automatically increase if your submission is approved. Generally speaking, if a submission is properly formatted, contains correct case, grammar, spelling, and punctuation, it will be approved.

•  REPLY  •

Volpe
Volpe

No Longer Registered
16:22:01 Apr 10 2016
Read 7,300 times

must the poetry submitted be about vampires

•  REPLY  •

FALSExCURE
FALSExCURE
Royal Sire (581)
[ Give / Take ]
19:09:53 Apr 11 2016
Read 7,283 times

It must be a clear vampire theme, an outsider reading it 'cold' without seeing the title must be able to recognize that it is definitely about vampirism.

•  REPLY  •

BatsInTheBelphry
BatsInTheBelphry
Premiere Sire (120)
[ Give / Take ]
07:52:14 Aug 29 2017
Read 5,319 times

i want to know why in a database cataloging all things vampire, my submissions for items are denied because of being on etsy? where are the rules that tells us it cant come from etsy?

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
16:46:03 Aug 29 2017
Read 5,312 times

It states in this thread that items are not accepted from there and haven't been for quit awhile, since 2014 or longer.

•  REPLY  •

xTaintedAngelx
xTaintedAngelx
Nightmare (97)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of The Coven of Purgatory
23:19:28 Sep 23 2017
Read 5,203 times

Can posts be made about clothing and what now from Wish.com?

•  REPLY  •

TheImpossibleProject
TheImpossibleProject
Apostate (62)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Dark Souls (Coven)
Vampire Rave member for 6 years.
01:26:20 Oct 05 2017
Read 5,154 times

On Feb 01 2014 MooniePie wrote:

Back when there was an issue and the database lost all the images, a lot of the backgrounds were a white background because of trying to get things back up and running.

The database has been gone through (it is almost finished) and these images have been/or will be fixed.

White backgrounds are not accepted on an image when it is submitted If a procurator doesn't have the time to fix it, or isn't able, the submission will be denied.

Moonpie you can't tell people to commit copyright infringement to get a entry submitted. Vampire Rave & the users don't own the rights to the images and are legally not allowed to edit them. This also goes for all the admins who help run the database.

As a agent of Vampire Rave you may have potentially made Vampire Rave liable and voided the safe harbour defence written in the DCMA.

Go read any Terms and Services of the companies whose products are listed in the database and try to find the line where it gives a user expressed permission to edit the image.

Taking the white background out of the image is editing. This is copyright infringement and is illegal

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
04:57:29 Oct 05 2017
Read 5,139 times

That has been part of the submission process for Procurators since 2008. You can read it Here If you have an issue with the way Cancer, or his staff, handle the Vampire Rave database, then you are free to take it up with him.

It seems to me, if you were really concerned about this issue you would of messaged Cancer, or any other member of VR's Master Vampire directly- not made a public spectacle of it.

•  REPLY  •

TheImpossibleProject
TheImpossibleProject
Apostate (62)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Dark Souls (Coven)
05:44:26 Oct 05 2017
Read 5,136 times

I message falsex earlier about it. I am surprised he didn't send a pro system message about it. As for posting it here users need to be made aware that they are breaking copyright law by submitting edited images. I am surprised nobody in the admin team said anything about it being illegal.

I will be submitting a report to cancer about it when i get a chance to sit down and write one. Though as a regent and a agent of Vampire Rave you can bring it to his attention faster.

And the fact you are posted it here and not message me personally, makes me question your administrative integrity.

2008 is not an excuse, It's 2017.

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
05:50:55 Oct 05 2017
Read 5,133 times

Then, I'm sure he'll be able to address your concerns.

•  REPLY  •

01:10:42 Oct 09 2017
Read 5,047 times

Although MooniePie has excellently handled this issue already, I would like to point out that some of the statements made regarding to submissions made to www.vampirerave.com including : " breaking copyright law by submitting edited images" is quite opinionated and rather uninformed. With very little time spent in validating these claims I discovered that much more likely, based on previous cases found on https://www.copyright.gov, that these submissions would fall under the rules of fair use. Each submission of course would have to be determined by a judge in a court of law and by no means could be determined by a single individual. However this is what fair use is all about: "Fair use is a legal doctrine that promotes freedom of expression by permitting the unlicensed use of copyright-protected works in certain circumstances. Section 107 of the Copyright Act provides the statutory framework for determining whether something is a fair use and identifies certain types of uses—such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research". In addition the following factors are considered: "Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes: Courts look at how the party claiming fair use is using the copyrighted work, and are more likely to find that nonprofit educational and noncommercial uses are fair. " Vampire raves data base is free to the public and is absolutely intended for educational research. It is also not directly commercial as it is not a paid service. Another factor looked at is : "Effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work: Here, courts review whether, and to what extent, the unlicensed use harms the existing or future market for the copyright owner’s original work. In assessing this factor, courts consider whether the use is hurting the current market for the original work (for example, by displacing sales of the original) and/or whether the use could cause substantial harm if it were to become widespread." Clearly vampire rave submissions would likely promote future market success rather that harm it.

TLDR: Vampire rave submissions are by nature a non commercial educational research commentary on copyright protected material that will likely promote the market value of such work in the favor of the copyright material owner, thus LIKELY falling under fair use in most cases.

Please feel free to read more here:
https://www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

•  REPLY  •

Pathofthewerewolf
Pathofthewerewolf
Changeling (71)
[ Give / Take ]
Member of Legion (Coven)
06:14:00 Oct 14 2017
Read 4,973 times

How long does it take to find out if your database entries have been accepted or denied ?

•  REPLY  •

MooniePie
MooniePie
Royal Sire (226)
[ Give / Take ]
17:02:31 Oct 18 2017
Read 4,934 times

On Oct 14 2017 CharlesDexterWard wrote:

How long does it take to find out if your database entries have been accepted or denied ?

There is no set time as to when you know. VR's staff is volunteer based. When Procurators are able to accept or deny submissions, they will. It can take time since the staff in that area is small.

•  REPLY  •

markus666
markus666
Great Sire (118)
Honor: 139
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Elizabeth Batory is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Elizabeth Batory
18:05:01 Jan 29 2018
Read 4,725 times

What is necessary to be a Procurators?

•  REPLY  •

FALSExCURE
FALSExCURE
Royal Sire (581)
[ Give / Take ]
20:38:24 Jan 29 2018
Read 4,721 times

You must first be an Acolyte to be considered, then Procurator's are appointed by Cancer.

•  REPLY  •

markus666
markus666
Great Sire (118)
Honor: 139
[ Give / Take ]
Coven of Elizabeth Batory is a member of an Alliance

Member of Coven of Elizabeth Batory
17:44:53 Jan 30 2018
Read 4,714 times

Thanks. Have a Wonderful day!!

•  REPLY  •

Dragonrouge
Dragonrouge
Premiere Sire (121)
[ Give / Take ]
22:10:30 Feb 06 2018
Read 4,691 times

It`s my tenth year on VR and I have submitted a lot of articles for the database. I know the rules.
Sometimes Procurators reject articles without a reason given.
If Procurator deny an entry, please tell us why. It`s more functional.
Otherwise I could keep submit the same artilce again.

Also maybe it would be good if procurators should ot be allowed to contribute to the database.

TY

•  REPLY  •

XMidnightJourneyX
XMidnightJourneyX
Shaitan (64)
Honor: 117
[ Give / Take ]
Poison (Coven) is a member of an Alliance

Member of Poison (Coven)
16:50:23 Mar 01 2018
Read 4,623 times

How many entries can a member submit daily ?

•  REPLY  •

09:29:27 Mar 29 2018
Read 4,550 times

As far as I know there is no daily limit.

•  REPLY  •

AbsintheandBlood
AbsintheandBlood
High Sire (151)
Honor: 6,406
[ Give / Take ]
The Coven of Temples of The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs is a member of an Alliance

Member of The Coven of Temples of The Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs
Vampire Rave member for 7 years.
23:23:14 Apr 09 2018
Read 4,532 times

I have a question . The database has a section for Graphic novels in the Vampire and Sci Fi database . Why is there not a graphic's novel section in the Heroes and Villains section ?

•  REPLY  •

FALSExCURE
FALSExCURE
Royal Sire (581)
[ Give / Take ]
02:24:54 Jul 27 2021
Read 1,247 times

Heroes and Villains has the Comic Books section - Others.

•  REPLY  •

• • • • THIS THREAD IS CLOSED • • • •
•  Closed by Nekirena on Nov 12 2021  •

•  General Discussion Home  •   Forums Home  •

COMPANY
REQUEST HELP
CONTACT US
SITEMAP
REPORT A BUG
UPDATES
LEGAL
TERMS OF SERVICE
PRIVACY POLICY
DMCA POLICY
REAL VAMPIRES LOVE VAMPIRE RAVE
© 2004 - 2024 Vampire Rave
All Rights Reserved.
Vampire Rave is a member of 
Page generated in 1.2661 seconds.
X
Username:

Password:
I agree to Vampire Rave's Privacy Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's Terms of Service.
I agree to Vampire Rave's DMCA Policy.
I agree to Vampire Rave's use of Cookies.
X